Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

Chunkybeefsoup
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  12:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've only tried Ativan, but I've taken it ever since I was diagnosed. Now, I'm diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder, and I take 1/2 mg at night to help me fall asleep. I think over the years, I've taken as much as 3 to 4 mg every day. I never got addicted to it, but I did take it if I wasn't feeling good. It was like my little magic pill, as my mom would call it...it seemed to make all my anxiety and mood problems go away. So, safe to say it, it worked really well on me. However, you can get addicted to it, but I think that only happens when you take it without the proper monitoring by your psychiatrist. If you have a pdoc monitoring you, then everything should be ok. Cindy
Go to Top of Page

filletofish
Starting Member

47 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  01:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have the same diagnosis as you. I take Ativan only when I have extreme anxiety, when I can't fall asleep. Definitely not everyday. Bcos I don't want to be dependent on Ativan. My Psych says take ONLY WHEN NECESSARY. And when I take, I only take 1MG. Nothing more than that. Sometimes my mum asks me to cut it into half and take 0.5MG. Don't underestimate its size, one small tablet is very strong. Too much and you may OverDose and kill you, be careful! Be warned!
The side effect is: DRY MOUTH. You wake up and your mouth is so dry that you want to drink a lot of water.
Just my humble and honest view.
Go to Top of Page

Chunkybeefsoup

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Fillet. Fleurette has something that I used to have. Our doctor calls it a perplexity attack. I start to believe that everyone knows who I am and I get disoriented. Bright colours were all I could think about and I couldn't focus and understand where I was or what I was doing or thinking. I get very scared and immediately call for help from my mom. I remember once when my friend from NY came and visited me. I couldn't talk for an hour. She knew of my illness, but she never saw me this way before. She kept on asking if I was ok and I just nodded. She ended up talking to another friend there and I was just left alone. I felt extremely uncomfortable and I took my Ativan. After about half an hour, the perplexity went away. It was so embarassing because I would always get this problem in public. Thanks for letting me share. Love, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

jessica2007
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  12:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hey guys,
I am new to this forum, so hello! I have been taking Ativan for anxiety relatd insomnia for over 4 months now. I have almost no stress now at work, but don't know how to stop taking this pill. I started with taking 1/2 at night to now taking 2 pills every night. Any advice on how to taper this.
Thanks and really appreciate your thoughts !!!!
Go to Top of Page

area24
Super Member (250+ posts)

253 Posts
Gratitude: 45

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  12:53:26  Show Profile  Visit area24's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
This is an old topic but anyone who takes Ativan or
Lorazepham even at 1MG should NOT be fooled by the freedom
from anxiety or nerves. Anyone who has ever tried stopping
this stuff will know why there are so many blogs devoted
to doing just that.
Go to Top of Page

Fruitcup (inactive)

2298 Posts
Gratitude: 563
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi guys

I take .5mg in the morning because I wake up with severe anxiety from nightmares......some times .25 is enough.I take it with me when ever I go out because who wants an anxiety attack in public but it is just like an insurance policy.I also take effexor which is meant to be a bugger to get off too....and the Risperdol no doubt has it's own problems....so life for the schizophrenic patient is full of anxiety.....about coming off tablets...if you let it.

What I am not anxious about is the fact that I have a doctor that I trust and beleive has my best interest at heart....he has even given me zopiclone for a sleep aid if I go too long without sleep.As a mother and wife I need to function and to do so I have a tool box full of aids that I use under close medical supervision so that I can function to the best of my ability.

What you are saying is perfectly correct but as long as I am well that is all I am going to worry about.
Go to Top of Page

synapse
Full Member (100+ posts)

244 Posts
Gratitude: 42

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  05:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Fleurette and Chunkybeefsoup,

"Perplexity" attacks as you call them are something I have suffered from for 13 plus years.

I would be interested to know why you call them perplexity attacks as such because in all that time I have been trying to nail a diagnosis for them eg severe anxiety, paranoia in order to get the best meds for them.

The symtoms for me are similar - colours seem vivid, thoughts pattern changes overthinking or over stimulated in a way, paranoia, scared feeling almost. I find the symtoms difficult to describe unless you have experienced it yourself.

Chunky, you say you are now over the attacks - are you able to say what made you oversome them for our benefit?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

fleurette

3282 Posts
Gratitude: 292
Very honest

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  15:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi synapse,

we call them perplexity attacks b/c of an element of being stuck and not being able to make decisions etc.

for me when i get them, i literally cannot talk. i cannot answer questions b/c my brain thinks to itself " i do not know what is best for myself". do u get that?

best wishes and sorry that u had these symptoms for so many years.

fleurette

"It is the crushed grape that yields the wine."
unknown author
Go to Top of Page

synapse
Full Member (100+ posts)

244 Posts
Gratitude: 42

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  12:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Fleurette

When I get these "perplexity attacks" I too am afriad of whst to say or do.

I was wondering how you are getting on with your perplexity attacks and the change in meds. Has it worked for you?
Go to Top of Page

tHE discussion
Starting Member

3 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  11:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I think growing up in a dysfunctional family and having a tough start figuring things out the difficult way (i.e. loosing my wife, custody of my child and self-destructing the job all in 2001). I’d like to start by saying that the battle with depression and anxiety has been an on going process until recent findings. Though I do not have extensive experience taking anti-depressant /anti-anxiety medications, I do know myself and feel that I have an in-depth understanding of many others observed over the years. I first started taking an anti-depressant called Paxil, and I must say the initial band-aid allowed me to battle helpless thoughts. However something was missing and, after decreasing then stopping the dosage, the zap of the initial detox almost made me think I had to go back on the drug. If it wasn’t for the anger of taking the drug in the first place I would not have exercised through and re-trained my nervous system. It wasn’t until 2006 that I learned of Zoloft as another band-aid for depression and it’s seemly null side affects, I started taking it on a regular basis (for about 6 months). Zoloft seemed to be the cure all as it stimulated the senses and the need for a balanced life (i.e. work and play) so much so that it was almost, at times, tough to sleep. So, I began to supplementing my drug medication regiment with Ambien. I remember my step Dad who was an orthopedic surgeon once saying “be careful of the anxiety medications; too many prescriptions can make one not know which way is up - confused”. As of a year ago had been prescription free and then in November of 2008 found myself out of work. With out any exercise program, and lack of, an already depleted, Family support, began to have severe anxiety. I did not have medical insurance at the time, so called a friend asking if I could use a few tablets of his wife’s anti-anxiety medicine. He said all she had were some Ativan. I thought well that could work until I get some Zoloft again. I borrowed a few Ativan tablets. And, before I could locate a doctor’s office that would accept proof of unemployment as a justifiable means for health care coverage for non-insured, a few tables turned into five (1 Ativan per day - 1mg tablets). Shortly after that I started developing a severe ringing in my ears. After locating a prescription for Zoloft and weining myself off of the Ativan the sensitivity of my ears had decreased and the ringing had turned to a slight buzzing. Now after posting my experience Ativan on some knowledge forums and postings removed, I’ve decided to push a little more by writing and posting this on as many discussion forums as I can. My love for technology and lack of funding to fight a pharmaceutical giant, and an inspiration while listening to a service at church I’ve come up with this suggestion. Three basic rules for those who are determined to get healthy again! Get some churchin in your life (at least once a week). For those who are quick to dismiss a biblical possibility and thousands seeing the miracles of Christ you better think again. Just try it, exercise at least 3 times per week (gradually get to 15 minutes per day). Once you start seeing “the writing on the wall” and the visible change in others & the energy you bring, the self-discipline to make your health happen comes a little easier. I’ve started going to church again, and though tough to exercise after a long day, noticed that I’m sleeping better and feeling stronger through out the day. And it seems a simple prayer, asking from guidance and strength from the heart goes a long further than I had once thought in self and especially loved ones.

vjm
Go to Top of Page

ross
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  20:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I purchase ativan everytime I need it thru medsheaven.com and i cannot look for a more convenient way to buy than online.
Go to Top of Page

lynn2150
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 2084
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  21:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
No script? real meds?
I used to take ativan 0.5 at night, for years,
Ran out one day, had THE WORST panic attack in my LIFE.
I make sure to never run out of what ever benzo I use, can't risk going to hospital from panic.

Note to self: ask God what His plans are, for me, for the day.
Go to Top of Page

janine1488
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  04:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I also bought Ativan from www.medsheaven.com before and I highly recommend them, their medicines are authentic, medsheaven is the best online pharmacy
Go to Top of Page

MAMAjojo
Starting Member

16 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  05:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello everyone!!

I am new to this forum and to anxiety as well. In late October this year I was diagnosed with hypertension (high blood pressure) and was put on two medications. I immediately began suffering form anxiety disorder and my pcp referred me to a psychologist. He referred me to a psychiatrist that my insurance didn't cover. I went to the emergency room in December where they gave me a script for Ativan. Not knowing any better, I followed the doc's recommended dosage of 1 1mg pill twice a day. I was referred to the cardiologist I had when I had my daughter three years ago who told me that Ativan was addictive and he didn't want me to take it. By this time (can you beleive?!?!) just 1 month, I was hooked on the stuff. Now I am trying to ween myself off. 1/2mg once a day now and slowly getting better. It's so sad. I stayed away form drugs my whole life only to find myself addicted to a prescription!!! Incidentally, my cardiologist is taking me off the bp medication that caused all the turmoil in the first place. Just want to let y'all know to be careful! Ask questions about the care your receiving. Getting involved in your care will give you some control and help you heal.
Go to Top of Page

GuyRichard
Starting Member

3 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  11:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I personally had to take Ativan and after just a few weeks I felt myself starting to get addicted. I would pursue all other options before taking ativan for the longterm. http://ativansideeffects.com/
Go to Top of Page

christonel

59 Posts
Gratitude: 11

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  12:22:03  Show Profile  Visit christonel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I used to take take ativan for years. It really does help calm you down when panic sets in.

However, it caused me to black out one day , and I was in a car accident.

I have not taken it since.

only an egg,
-Christopher-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0