Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Schizophrenia: Medications
 Risperidone (Risperdal)
 Would You Recommend Risperidone (Risperdal)
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 77

Administrator
Administrator

14915 Posts
Gratitude: 577
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  14:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Members,

If you have been treated with risperidone (Risperdal) for your Schizophrenia, on the basis of your experience:
  • Would you recommend risperidone to other members for the treatment of their Schizophrenia?

• What were the adverse effects caused by risperidone? How severe were these side-effects?

• How much did one month's supply of risperidone cost?
Before you write your review, please use the Yes-No-Unsure buttons on the bottom of this post to indicate if you would recommend risperidone to other members.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

nicasius
Starting Member

11 Posts
Gratitude: 8

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  11:52:45  Show Profile  Visit nicasius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was put on risperdal against my will so please consider that as a part of my response. The psychiatrist who prescribed it is notorious for over prescribing difficult patients. I was put on injections at the same time as being given the drug orally. The fact that Risperdal has lower side effects is emphasized by the way it creeps up on you, you hardly notice that it is working on you. I lost my delusions, was not sedated, the "voices" became muffled or virtual (resembling thoughts). My voices make up for my solitude and frequently sound medical and/or "authoritatively liberal" as many English authorities are. What I object to is that Risperdal to me changed my personality so radically that it has made a mouse of me. Every morning I have to fight anxiety/depression that has already cost me a suicide attempt. Anxiety is one of the drugs (side) effects. I now take an antidepressant (Sertraline) to counteract this. The way the drug controls my behaviour is by facilitating responses which mediate for flight as opposed to fight: drying of the mouth and loss of confidence and obsessive compulsive decision making leading to hesitation and dithering. I find it horrifying that a drug can have such unsubtle ways of controlling your behaviour although I have experienced it before with depixol which had more motor side effects. I find it an affront to my belief in freedom. I have lost so many molars as a result of periodontal disease that I am down to my last one in the top jaw. I think this can be attributed in part to low supplies of saliva. I was smoking so much that I had to give up for my own sanity. I still am not smoking.
In conclusion I can recommend risperdal to psychiatrists but I would not recommend it to patients because it is so powerful as a designer drug. It's the nearest thing to a cure, but I don't like myself any more and I have lost friends.

johnnyonline
Go to Top of Page

the_bass_player
Starting Member

6 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  22:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i was perscribed to risperdal. and it didnt really do much. i had to keep taking higher and higher dosages of the medicine. however, i was taking effexor which was increasing the effect of phsycosis for me. so who knows?
Go to Top of Page

firebird
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1555 Posts
Gratitude: 525
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  06:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Yes! I have taken it, at low doseges 1mg - 2.5mg. I am not on it now, but when I needed it, it did the job for me. It got me through some rough times, yep. (Its not something I would want to be on at high doses for a long time though).
Go to Top of Page

spirit
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1055 Posts
Gratitude: 168

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  07:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Is Invega the same as Risperidone?
Go to Top of Page

Linden_Rose
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts
Gratitude: 57

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  12:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Yes, I would recommend Risperdal. It was the first medication that I was given when I started to get schizophrenia. It took away my paranoia and hallucinations.

The only thing that I have against this drug is that it causes a lot of weight gain and lactation.
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee
Super Member (250+ posts)

641 Posts
Gratitude: 149

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  14:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Fortunately my insurance covered most of my cost for this drug. The Rx itself was $414.00, for 3mg. tab/45 tablets.

Gives very bad dry mouth, but seems to help me sleep.
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1887
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
risperdal has been a god send . a miracle for me.
yes i would
Go to Top of Page

Fruitcup (inactive)
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

2298 Posts
Gratitude: 563

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  21:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been on risperdal for 12 months and would recommend it.Stacked on the weight but has stopped probs of scz.Costs $31.00 Aussie dollars a month.Would love to lose weight but happy to be back from "pixie land" and can be part of the family again and not in hospital which was very difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Fruitcup (inactive)

2298 Posts
Gratitude: 563

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  02:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Correction
Aussie $31.00 was for 2 months supply.....if you are diagnosed with scz.
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee
Super Member (250+ posts)

641 Posts
Gratitude: 149

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  19:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
that is amazing to see how much the price difference is. The pharmaceutical companies are really making the money.

I have since switched to the metabolite of risperdal, Invega. Now this I would recommend to someone having trouble with the risperdal. It is really helping me slow my mind and my hallucinations are practically all gone now.

N

40 and finally asking for help!
Go to Top of Page

The Lone Viking (inactive)
Full Member (100+ posts)

173 Posts
Gratitude: 38

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  08:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The first med combination i was ever put on (originally when misdiagnosed as bipolar in 1996) was Risperdal and Lithium.

12 years later, I remain on basically the same drug combination (despite the schiz. daignosis in 2001). I've tried probably 15 other drugs along the way but surprised to see all these years later I am back more or less where I started when first diagnosed. From 2005 through the end of 2007 I was on Risperdal consistently, and even though I had some problems, none were serious enough to require a mental health hospitalization. It was after I switched to invega, that a few months later I was hospitalized again.

The important difference, temporarily, is that I'm on Invega because that's what they were able to get samples of. Invega is the 'next generation' risperdal, but from what I understand (and from my personal experience) it's really not as good as risperdal. I am hoping Risperdal is going to be cheap in its generic form. From what I've read, for the first 6 months or so (from June through the end of the year) the generic risperidone in the united states is going to only be offerred by one company which means they can charge more (they sued in the u.s. court here in n.y. for that right) but after 6 months the drug will be mass-produced by many generic makers and should probably be one of those $4 wal-mart/target generic drugs, instead of the $350-450 I was paying just 6 months ago when I had to fill it.

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by Administrator

Dear Members,

If you have been treated with risperidone (Risperdal) for your Schizophrenia, on the basis of your experience:
  • Would you recommend risperidone to other members for the treatment of their Schizophrenia?

• What were the adverse effects caused by risperidone? How severe were these side-effects?

• How much did one month's supply of risperidone cost?
Before you write your review, please use the Yes-No-Unsure buttons on the bottom of this post to indicate if you would recommend risperidone to other members.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Jonathan90125

4098 Posts
Gratitude: 276
Very honest

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  08:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I liked the stuff, as well as treating psychosis it can treat obsessions that I've had as well. I suppose weight gain and stimulation of appitite for food is a bit of a pain, nut that that's true of all the neuroleptics, and respiridone isn't one of the worst offenders. I don't know how much it cost as it was prescribed on the British NHS
Go to Top of Page

SurvivorResperdal
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  21:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was put on resiperdal by shrink trickery. After my experience, I now refer to psychiatrist as shrinks and will till the day I die: calling them what they do: shrink human brains. He(the shrink) told me if I keep refusing to take the meds, I was going to get a court order and tho he might not win I would never get a professional job again. I took the resiperdal and shortly there after the worse experience of life began. I had an allergy reaction, nose stuffed up, salvia, major thunderstorm headaches and life threatening constipation – I was eating bran and prune juice at end and still could not go. I gained massive amount of weight, went beyond my life high and then I was pissing all the time. I detoxed off by self (reading about it on web (no shrink would help me – no insurance then) they the ‘shrinks’ scheduled appointment month and a half in future only one I could get: I knew I would not live thru week. The detox was the worse torture on the planet, it gives you insanity, my mind kept going around in circles, thinking like, and everything sleeping, etc. was really, really, really bad. After I survived the Shrinks experiment, I went to safe harbor, found a local ‘normal’ doctor. Took a bunch of anti-parasite herbals. Then I took major chelation, after thirty treatments and 3 months I was able to find major job half way across country, I was feeling really good on the chelation. I drove there with all my stuff. Then I started having weird chemical toxicity three months after the chelation was finished. I got all my mercury dental filling removed (nice to have coin:-) by Huggins dentist then I distilled my h20 and started eating based on Weston Price diet. I went to Pfeiffer center and started taking their vitamins: they helped big time, I had weird resiperdal allergy thing. They had me take a stool test and they found this weird Yersinia bacteria thing in me. They gave me Bacterium and nystaine and my chemical sensitivity started to go down, but I still have the terrible headaches (allergy headaches) that I first got from resiperdal. This was the first time in life at 38 I had headaches or allergieris for anything, it all goes back to resiperdal. I still have these headaches still, after I eat 15 minutes (on rotation diet). All I know is I went to hospital for an anxiety attack they gave me resiperdal and now I have a permant screwed up autoimmune problem. The shrinks are a joke, I tried to reason with mine but when he said even if he loses the court case it didn’t matter, I would still never get a professional job, so I took the poison bait (yes I know he sucker me). I kept the permant professional job now for over two years since the shrink poisoned me and I’m still thinking about taking all the money I am saving and giving it to a lawyer based on moral principle for Universal Preferrable Behavior so I can live knowing I tried to stop the madness of the shrinks. Be warn, the shrink is in the pocket of the drug company and only runs a sausage packing machine, if you are in their machine find a way to escape and use other stuff –there is so much that can be done on this front for mankind. The cost was over $350 plus two years ago, for the resiperdal, the hospital bill they sent me was over $10,000 + for their attempt on my life, so they could get an addict for their cashflows. Resiperdal = Modern day blood letting with leeches (a whole industry of leeches) In the dark days of detoxing I went for a run and was spacing out in a field, I had all I could do to get thru the that week, It was the only time in my life that I was really thinking I would have to kill my-self: there was NO other option. The psychologists I went to said she could not help me till I go back on resiperdal. Be careful of the psychologists too, they use suggestive behavior and mind control to try to get you to think you need to go back on the ‘escapes of reality’ they push. Half of those people are in with the shrinks, they program you in the session when you use objective reasoning and logic they get upset. If you study their body lanaguage and repeat it you can program them back just as easy, but it freaks them out. Mention Hilter’s ‘good doctors’ and what they did for mankind with their ideas of greater good and the ‘vitiman supplements’ i.e. ‘special’ drugs they gave Hilter.

I will NEVER go on another drug again, and I will never go to the shrink community for help, no matter what… you are better on the streets. Most of the increasing illness comes from the mythology these high priest (shrinks) sell to cover up for society’s illusions (there are many – and if you are gifted and touched these wrong, false beliefs is what causes your sickness to begin with: this is what makes you mad – because u see thru it) The very small percentage of people that need the drugs is the excuse the shrinks use for their paychecks. All of man sells out his brother for their own benefit. Priests = 4000 year con job for money, banks a scam on what you earn with fake dollars tied to nothing, but the shrinks their mythology is the worse ‘ their gods are the drugs’ to cover all others because they know the issue with torture, illusions abstract reality holes to place in ones thinking: It’s all about control and shrinks feed well. If you research using only empirical data and logic and reasoning, they will hate you. This is why true free markets aren’t allowed in society, the sceincfic method of a real free market with provide a solution to mental illness – today it is all a preplanned market pay off mercentialism not true free markets that why they pay off the politicians, for their 'regs' to sell bs of their safety, covers teh shrinks scam.

I was on this site 2 years ago when I was detoxing asking for help and now, looking back I can’t believe I made it thru their gantlet. I think it is important for the shrink community to know what they are doing in disguse of ‘good’ is true evil by every measure. (95% of their community deep down knows it as well, that’s why they hate and fear the truth, smart people like shrinks have to justify their evil, just like they have done for the last 2000 years, with evidence all around you. Man always uses the disguse of good in form of moral-ity to do evil )see history/religious wars. Shrinks play their part very well indeed.
Go to Top of Page

professor_lupin
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  22:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've been on risperdal since I was 24. It was given to me involunatarily while I was hospitalized in a psych facility. I didn't know I could refuse the med, if I would of known that I would of never taken it. It has kept me "normal" now for the past 5 years, I'm 29 now. But at a price. I'm not the same person at 3 mg that I am when I'm taking 2 mg or when I'm taking 1 mg. I don't even know what it's like not to be off risperdal anymore, honestly. I can relate to some of the things resperdalsurvivor is saying, I know he may sound like he's out there but really some of the stuff he says I can relate to, like wanting to sue the psychiatrist that first put me on this medication. I really want to sue them one day, I hate being on this medication, it makes me a different person. Also getting off of risperdal is hell on earth. I honestly can't do it. I've tried multiple times and failed with the results of just being put on higher doses and gaining more weight. I have really tried getting off of this medication and failed. And let me tell you getting off this medication is literally hell on earth. I cannot be more plain. It really is hell on earth. I couldn't even last a day. I remember slowly tapering off and still couldn't do it. It's hell on earth, I don't know how else to describe. If I had my choice I would of never have been put on antipsychotic meds in the first place. It's ruined my life. yeah maybe I was sick when I was first put on them, but maybe I could of done okay without them, Maybe I would of been all right. Meds are always the answer and sometimes the treatment is worse then the disease. I predominantly had delusions and no hallucinations so I can't speak for everybody but I can't help but think back and think I wish I would have never been put of these medications. I hate being on them so much.
Go to Top of Page

TritonTitan
Starting Member

34 Posts
Gratitude: 8

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  23:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Well, I was not put on this for schizophrenia. I was put on it for Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic episodes.
I was on 1mg Risperdal, 100mg Seroquel, and 20mg Prozac.

When I was hospitalized, it barely did anything to me. I could eat breakfast and not nap all day.Function okay and such.

Once I was on outpatient. I would take it at 9am as I was told to, and I would be passed out from 12-5. Of course I was supposed to take risperdal at 9 am and 5 pm. My father told me to go against the docs orders and take my second dose before bed. Good call.
It was sickening on this drug. When I would take it, I felt like how a drunk person feels before they pass out, where you have to dive into bed because you're going to collapse. And when I would wake up from my 5 hour coma, it would feel like my brain was being distorted. Everything felt so fuzzy. I felt sick all the time (only outside of the hospital, none of this was present there. only differences were I was on generic risperidone outside, but I was also eating a lot less, which i think was the change.)

Not to mention there was no change in my mental state. but that is another topic and a different situation.

Would I reccommend it? I can't say anything either way. I mean, it seems to help certain people, so if the shoe fits....
For me it was nothing but trouble and discomfort.

Like survivorrisperdal and Lupin said it's tough and lousy. Lupin brings up a good point, where in a facility they do not let you know you can refuse pills. And it's hard when you have a doctor in your face actually screaming and demeaning you "I THINK YOU NEED TO BE MEDICATED!!" Even writing that is bringing back the painful memories.
It's true that shrinks do so much harm , and they probably think they are helping. If I had stayed on Risperdal I'd probably be on disability right now or living in a hospital. But other people may have had better experiences.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 77  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25593
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0