Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Schizophrenia: Medications
 Risperidone (Risperdal)
 Would You Recommend Risperidone (Risperdal)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 77

ApsieDX
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  20:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi everyone!

I just found this site and this is my first post. I am also born German, so pleas excuse any mistakes.

About Risperdal: Yes, I absolutely would! I suffer from MNS (malicious neuroleptic syndrome) if given Haldol (Haloperdol) and Risperdal is the only thing, I can surely take, without falling into a catatonic-like coma and die within a week (nearly happened the fist time) ^^

So, yes, I have only made good experiences with that medication... no side effects what so ever, except for a slightly lowered libido, which isn't all that bad (considering my LARGE libido ;D )

If I offended you in anyway: I was surely just kidding around!
Go to Top of Page

plaidling
Starting Member

27 Posts
Gratitude: 22

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  11:05:34  Show Profile  Visit plaidling's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I voted yes. I was only on Risperidone for a short time, and I found it very helpful. It was the only medication that actually made some of the symptoms go away completely.

However, I URGE anyone on this medication to have regular blood tests to check your prolactin levels. This medication increased my prolactin levels immensely, and caused me to excrete breast milk. I have been off risperidone for over 6 months, and I still lactate slightly from one breast.

TMI, I know. But it has to be said.

I don't remember the cost, I wasn't on it long enough for that to be memorable.

People are just people. -Ros Clark
Go to Top of Page

paleblue
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  18:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear members

This is my first time posting on this sort of forum.

About 8 years ago, I was eventually sectioned to the mental hospital after 3 years of living in schizophrenia. In there I took my first antipschychotic which was risperidone. I think the shrinks there may had put me on risperidone because I had nearly killed myself previously and had to be taken to a mental hospital after my attempt had failed (please dont try anything stupid like that if you are reading) which under my deluded state managed to wrestle 6 guys and escape without popping any pills (I was really far gone).

Anyway, I ended up on 6mg risperidone after a month in the second psychiatric hospital and gained about 6 stones of weight in literally two months on this hard bastard of a drug. I was so scared of gaining any more weight on switching to a new med that I thought just stick with it. Even when i asked my docs to switch me they wouldnt. So there I was- a fat bastard but symptom free. This drug did work for me in that it brought me back to a reality I thought I would never be able to cope with after living in pshychosis but I actually was able to. Risp totally killed my sperms off for about 5 years and blurred the hell out of my vision for that period of time but that benefitted me as I would just go and do **** loads of university course work or revise for an exam or sumting and got smashing grades meanwhile. It really helped me in these aspects alot. But it does seem to make me overly emotional most of the time and someone would say something to piss me off and i would react to this like the next day. it does give you alot of delayed - negative thinking. However on a lower dose i find it very energising. Sadly for some reason because of all the emotional stress i have to drink alchol like every day, but at least thats fun. Guys the meds are ****ty but they are a hard line treatment to a very satanic cult called schizophrenia (who treat us like their little doggy pet ****su) and on or off meds it can be ****ty and screwed.

Now days after having my first relapse and the consequent risperidone dose increase i wanted, i am finding the risperidone is not working as well and my once high energy levels have been replaced by zombiefication on this drug, sometimes i cant even speak. Plus my whole town is having conversations about me (very negative ones) so i guess my brain is so screwed that background talking just sounds like like abuse, i have been hearing this for nearly a year now-help! I never wanted to change this drug but now i feel i may have too as life is becoming difficult now. Seriously i think the nature of a persons ilnesss, their environment etc has alot to do with how you feel on a day to day basis but i am worried about changing pills as i dont want to gain like 60 pounds in the first two months adjusting. thanx for reading god bless us all, he will get us through this nightmare, peace ps risperidone causes you to become like a fat poodle because it slowws ur metabolism to a standstill- not because of the overeating. I hadly eat and i never loose weight. it also causes extreme bloating.

pps i think it is designed to purposefully slow ur meabolism so the pills dont digest and they keep working and working.

ppps once on christmas i gained 8 pounds on that day alone because of this fat mans pill even though i only had one meal. explain that. when i told my relatives this they thought i was bull****ting and claimed one could only gain 1 or 2 pound a day but my stomach disagrees with that. fat drugs!!
Go to Top of Page

paleblue
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  18:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
For me this caused less weight gain then seroquel. Haldol was weight neutral and worked brilliant but you need procyclidine with that.
Go to Top of Page

paleblue
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  18:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I want to delete this post.
Go to Top of Page

paleblue
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  18:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Sorry hit v funny v caring whilst trying to edit my own post using my phone. I'm not taking the piss out of you !! # sorry !!
Go to Top of Page

chelle25
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

7614 Posts
Gratitude: 319
Very caring

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  05:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi pale blue,

Welcome to the forum. You might find that changing your pills may help in the weight gain aspect. Geodon and abilify are supposed to be weight neutral drugs.

I hope you get it sorted.

Nice to meet you here.
Go to Top of Page

guru
Super Member (250+ posts)

288 Posts
Gratitude: 51

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  11:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I would definitely recommend Risperidone. Especially as an antagonist to paranoia. But it does leave you somewhat depressed.

Thing is, is that risp takes a while to get used to, since it has a numbing effect, and leaves you 'dry' and 'robotic' for a while. But given 3 or so weeks, the side-effects tone down a bit.

But it stabilizes like no other drug I know. Perhaps zyprexa or haldol are the only ones that can be better in a major breakdown. Basically when you're freaking out....LOL

Risp varies greatly depending on the dosage you take it - i.e., 3 mgs are a whole other ball game than, in the up end, 5mgs or, down-playing, 1.5mg. With risperidone you really have to adjust the 'right' - precisely 'right' dosage - not too much, not too less. Remember that. Play with the right amount.

Too much risp can leave you feeling like a 'bot,' while a lower, 'wiser' dose can keep your symptoms away without affecting your personality, intuition, and instincts and thought train.

Word of caution here - if you are going through a major breakdown, it is better to increase the dosage to no more than 6mgs. until you stabilize, in which case it would be prudent to set the measure at 2,3 or 4.5mgs., after the 'Storm' has passed.

Again - perhaps today there is no other drug that varies tremendously with the infinitesimal different mgs you take. 6 mgs and 3 mgs can be the difference between 'torment' and 'noia' and being 'just O.K.' Stabilized, not-paranoid, O.K., I'll give you that - but you may feel toned down for a while - but in the end, depression is better than a far-flung major breakdown. ; )
Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  16:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://cottagenet.ru

Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  16:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://eyesvisions.com