Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

AusieAnna
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  15:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am currently Executive Director of Mental Health Association in Essex County. It is in this last capacity that I speak before you today.

In the early days of my tenure with Vermont Protection & Advocacy, I was asked to lead an effort to have the practice banned in Vermont. Knowing very little about ECT, I set out to learn what I could, in the time available before the legislative session. I read the research (both pro and con). I spoke to psychiatrists who provide this procedure to their patients, and, most importantly, I interviewed about 35 people who had directly experienced it. At the beginning of my learning experience, I had no opinion about ECT at all. Only after several discussions with people, and the review of the literature did I come to the conclusion that I will share with you today.

1. What is the efficacy of the use of ECT to break mental illness? This subject is passionately debated on both sides. Journals that purport to be scientific are published on both sides, thus it is difficult to find published articles on ECT that are objective. One article published a few years ago, in a non-partisan publication, sought to determine whether ECT led to a reduction in suicide. The article showed that not only did ECT not prevent suicide, but that ECT, medication, drugs, and neglect, all were equally effective, or ineffective, in having any impact at all. Summarily, it is my opinion that credible evidence on the efficacy of ECT is not substantially available at this time. Some people with whom I have discussed this issue, report that they have gained from the use of ECT. The vast majority (90% +/-) does not see that any good ever came from the procedure.
Go to Top of Page

AusieAnna
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  15:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Testimony on Electroshock by William Sullivan, Chair, NYAPRS

Deaths do occur as a result of the procedure, whether from the insult to the brain, or a result of the anesthesia, or muscle relaxants used.

Information concerning the prevalence of such deaths has been debated over the years.

Objective research should be conducted to determine the risks.

Every person interviewed had, as his/her major complaint, loss of memory. No one person was immune from some memory loss, which they still could not retrieve. For some people, the memory loss was minimal, for others quite profound. Below are some examples reported to me:

Although all had some memory loss, there were some for whom memory loss was alarming. A woman aged about 40 told me that her mother had to move in with her because she forgot how to cook. She had lost all ability to perform even the most elementary tasks involving cooking and meal preparation, including the boiling of water.

One woman regularly loses her way when driving around a familiar neighborhood.

Several people shared their embarrassment in going shopping at the grocery store. They shared that they were unable to identify people who would greet them. Some told me that even close relatives and friends were not recognized.

One woman cannot recall giving Mother Theresa a tour of the City of Los Angeles. This woman was the director of an agency serving runaway youth at the time, and has received numerous awards for her work.

In talking to two doctors whose practice included ECT, I asked which categories of people would most likely be recommended for ECT. The response was older people and pregnant women. I asked why a grand-mal- seizure would be induced in a pregnant woman. One of the doctors told me that a grand-mal-seizure was not induced. When I challenged the doctor, he allowed that a grand-mal-seizure was indeed induced, but that the involuntary motor involvement was now minimized due to muscle relaxant drugs
Go to Top of Page

lisabean
Starting Member

34 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i think its barbaric a woman that i know had this procedure several times a month it did nothing to help her and from what i can see has actually made her worse she doesnt have much of her long term memory even forgetting her kids an now her short term memory is going and they call this treatment help
lisa
i guess if you cant remeber symtoms then they think it works ....?
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 326
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  13:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
What's even scarier about this one if you check into it, some of the most pro shock and widely published docs actually own shares in companies that make shock machines.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

Jayster

2021 Posts
Gratitude: 159

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  23:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear Ferengi,

That's really funny that the old green back dollar should once again be the incentive to who says what!

I try to be responsible for what I say, actually. My Mom affirms my integrity as a nice quality.

I had ECT, of course. I didn't suffer too much from it, it seems. The doctor who gave it to me affirms that he got the results he hoped for when he demanded I have it.

Jayster
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 326
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  16:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am glad you didn't suffer much having it. I have told my family absolutely, that in case I am incapacitated and not allowed to make decisions, to refuse it.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

Chunkybeefsoup

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
The only time that I'd want ECT is maybe if I was suicidal. I've heard a lot of good things about it and when it would be appropriate. Take good care, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

clearmind
Full Member (100+ posts)

154 Posts
Gratitude: 36

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  19:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I had it done to my spine. For all I know maybe
thats the way it's done but I doubt it. I had no
ill effects and no positive effects. It was done
to try and reduce this inner tension I was feeling.
It did nothing. I think I was lucky.
Go to Top of Page

jane_m

67 Posts
Gratitude: 27

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  18:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have had three grand mal seizures. Why would anyone ever do that to themselves on purpose is hard to believe. When I had those things the only thing I want to do was kill myself. I was lucky I only lost parts of two months.
Go to Top of Page

hercules21

5726 Posts
Gratitude: 435
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  02:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I delayed taking myself to hospital because of the fear of ECT.
Eventually I decided that if I was a voluntary admission into hospital that it would give me more control over my medication program adn that they wouldn't ECT me - and I admitted myself.
My vote is that this treatment should be removed all together. My understanding is that they don't understand the dynamics of how it works when it does have a positive impact.

I think that if ECT must be performed it should only be with the patients written consent. It is garbage that your family or doctor can decide for you.
Go to Top of Page

sopater
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1005 Posts
Gratitude: 68

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  19:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I agree with hercules21. It sounds like trying
to bring Frankestien back from the dead.
Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2021 :  19:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://cottagenet.ru

Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2021 :  19:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://eyesvisions.com