Schizophrenia Community

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Schizophrenia: Nonpharmaceutical Therapy
 What Would Improve Therapy For Schizophrenia?
 First thought
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

AusieAnna
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  17:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
First thought:

By Patricia Lefave

First though, psychiatrists are going to have to get over the domineering parent act, and learn to relate as equals so that they can lead by that example, rather than demonstrations of unquestioned power and "other" control. Relating in terms of a power struggle IS the problem in the first place. It's like trying to save someone from drowning by dragging them out to deeper waters so they'll get used to the idea. If you listen closely, you will hear the same problem, in all it's concrete manifestations. That's what is being suppressed. Suppressed pain and conflict emerges in perverted forms of itself. Just like dreams and nightmares. Only these nightmares occur while the patient's eyes are open, and they cannot awaken from it. If you allow the dreamer to wake up to the truth, the dream, or nightmare, is expressing for them, in symbolic form, the nightmare will end. To do that, Psychiatry is going to have to wake up to the same truth. And if the patient's nightmare ends, so will everyone else's.

Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14915 Posts
Gratitude: 577
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  22:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I Agree Patricia,

Some psychiatrists do become enmeshed in unnecessary power struggles with their patients. (They also become enmeshed in unnecessary power struggles with their coworkers and spouses.)

Please allow me to digress.

Decades ago, as a young psychiatrist working in the psychiatric emergency ward, I noticed that only one psychiatrist was always being physically attacked by his patients. None of the other nurses or psychiatrists on the ward were ever physically attacked by patients.

I watched how that (frequently assaulted) psychiatrist interacted with his emergency ward patients. He was very domineering and often disrespectful towards his acutely psychotic patients. He would conduct a very brief interview, then jump to a conclusion (which often was medically wrong). Somehow, during these brief interviews, he would needlessly get into a power struggle with his patient, and would be physically assaulted. This same psychiatrist was domineering and disrespectful towards his students.

The other psychiatrists were like myself. When we entered the (sometimes) locked rooms, we would politely introduce ourselves and ask the patient's permission to enter. Once inside, we would ask permission to sit down, then ask the patient how we could help them. We would take an hour to do our initial psychiatric interview and not rush to premature conclusions. At the end of the interview, we would respectfully tell our patient what we could, and couldn't, do for them. We promised our patients that we would do everything we could to hasten their recovery and hospital discharge. None of us ever were physically assaulted. In addition, we respected our students and treated them as peers.

Unfortunately, it is the domineering, disrespectful psychiatrist that you will always remember. These are the bad psychiatrists. Every trade, and every profession, has its good and bad practitioners. You just pray that you get the "good mechanic" or the "good psychiatrist" because there are a fair number of "bad ones" still practicing. I am so sorry that it was your luck to be treated by the psychiatrist you described.

But Patricia my profession is changing. My daughter is in Third Year Medicine and is planning to become a psychiatrist. You would like her and her fellow medical students. They are warm, understanding, and respectful with each other and with their patients. They are the future of psychiatry.

Patricia, psychiatry will wake up to realize the truth of your argument. You are an individual deserving of respect and equality. Thank you for your "first thought" on this important issue.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Morning Mist
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am happy to say I trust and respect my current p-doc (my 7th doctor).He doesn't speak down at me and has a calm demeanour.I look forward to my appointments with him.I wish everyone luck in finding the right p-doc.
Go to Top of Page

acca23
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  01:59:57  Show Profile  Visit acca23's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'd like to know when they will wake up and take notice. People like that should not only be struck off but also admited to the wards and maybe they'll understand the pain we suffer as paitents.Andy

Andy C C Aglow
Go to Top of Page

Chunkybeefsoup
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I had psychiatrists that would say that it was because of my family that I was that sick. One of them actually brought my parents into his office and yell at them, telling them that they were the reason why I got sick. My parents are the most loving parents ever. They were confused and hurt. They kept on going over and over again in their heads just what they did wrong. They couldn't figure it out. Finally, we went to my current pdoc and he was unlike anybody we've ever met. He was so helpful, gentle, and kind. He told my parents that I had schizophrenia and that I would get better. I was almost asleep because I took some herbs before we went, but I could already tell that he was such a nice person. I refused the meds for the first couple of months and it was my pdoc's kind nature and I trusted him. He was the reason why I started my meds. The rest is history. I owe him my life. Thanks for listening, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Elfie
Full Member (100+ posts)

172 Posts
Gratitude: 10

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  19:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I got compromised for spitting on a doctor. he talked loud and fast. he interrupted. cereal box PhD...
Apparently I got him in the face.

he trasnlated this as violence.

I've had more trouble with nurses than doctors.

they are disillusioned. They think they'll be martyrs, instead they're burned out.

"Great thinkers often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts
Gratitude: 11

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  13:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dr. Long, Is right there, not all Psychiatrists are bad and some like to try their own therapies, same for Psychologists. I met two unique and warm hearted psychologists whom work very hard on their ideas and theories, they are very successful (one gave up his private practice). Some Psychiatrists just do it for the money; others have a desire to be a Psychiatrist. There are the inventors and creators and then those whom follow them.

I had one psychiatrist who was wonderful and so sweet, could understand me. Yet he was often judged predigest by others and had to act selfish often to be able to keep on helping paintents. Very sad

I had another who was not very nice and was cold hearted, judgmental, rude and did not explain things. His skeptical and sophisticated behavior made people think he was the perfect Psychiatrist and oh so great. His skills were poor, and he act as if he hated his job.

Sometimes you have to think about things before making a conclusion. , that goes not only for Shrinks but for EVERYBODY!!!

I know Pat I once belonged to her group, it was not a very nice group.
Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2021 :  21:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://cottagenet.ru

Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2021 :  21:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://eyesvisions.com