Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

CBoo
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1669 Posts
Gratitude: 545
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  00:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi, I don't think anyone knows me here, I normally post on another board. I'm hoping that someone can help me to do the right thing.

My son has been playing in the park lately with a sweet little boy (11 years old), who is also in his class at school. Last weekend my son came running home, very upset, because his friend had suddenly stopped playing and run off. I told him that he probably had just forgot that he had something to do at home. But he told me that he thinks his friend was hearing voices again.
Apparently this little boy had previously told him that he has schizophrenia (but used a slightly different word), and that he has a gift that he can hear people who he can't see.

I don't think its my place to get overly involved, but should I explain a little bit about schizophrenia to my son? If so, how? Is there something that my child should do or say that will help this little boy if it happens? Do you think the voices scare the child? Also, I'm concerned about how other children might react if it comes up at school. Maybe my son can defend his friend, well, because you know how kids can be. Sorry for my ignorance on this topic. I just want to do the right thing, even if the right thing is to do nothing.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Cboo
Go to Top of Page

Chris

1773 Posts
Gratitude: 268

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  01:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hey CBoo, I just wanted to post to welcome you to our website. I don't personally have experience with childhood schizophrenia but there are other community members who do everyone here is really friendly I'm sure that you'll get some good advice from these folks.

No false Gods!
No human masters!

Anarchy and Peace.
Go to Top of Page

CBoo

1669 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  18:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Chris, you're so nice and kind. Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Chris

1773 Posts
Gratitude: 268

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  19:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
You're welcome CBoo, I hope somebody else responds to your question soon.

No false Gods!
No human masters!

Anarchy and Peace.
Go to Top of Page

Mike412
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3633 Posts
Gratitude: 61

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  21:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello,

I heard voices and hallucinated when I was a little kid, I had imaginary friends that talked to me-maybe the boy went to spend time with his. I think what you should do is just teach your son what schizophrenia is but that he should keep it secret from other people that the kid's got it-it's estimated that only about 1 out of 400 schizophrenics will have the onset of their illness during childhood-the younger the rarer the average age being early 20's-late 30's-I've read, so the other kids wouldn't understand something like that it would just be something for them to laugh at-even among adults I feel it's an illness that's something to laugh at-if it ever come up at school he should act like it's just a rumour or something, deny it. I found out that the other kids at school didn't have people living in their heads that talked to them and told them to do things right around the same time I found out santa claus wasn't real.

I think the voices might scare him, he might be used to them but they might threaten him or insult him-he might go home and cry about the names they call him. Somewhere along the line if it becomes a problem for the kid his parents or someone will have to do something-I started seeing a psychiatrist myself when I was 14-got hospitalized,medicated,taken out of school and put in homeschool-I've gotten better with a lot of my issues-their still there but as a child with these problems it's very difficult with what little you know about things and there's much you have to learn along the way-if you have to learn it all on your own it's even harder. What's real and what's imagination is harder to figure out. I was an only child and didn't have much to do with the other kids at school.

Go to Top of Page

hercules21
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

5726 Posts
Gratitude: 435

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  23:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Very insightful and helpful answer Mike.
Go to Top of Page

CBoo

1669 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  00:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Mike, thank you so very much for this excellent advice and insight. I will try to get to know the family better, but now I know, that the least that I can do is to ensure that my son is an understanding and loyal friend to this beautiful child.

That you can relate your own painful memories to me to help me to understand how to help this little guy, means so much to me, you are a true angel.

Thank you very very much,

Cboo

Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Super Member (250+ posts)

679 Posts
Gratitude: 198

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  09:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hey,

I think it would be good to explain a little. This is something we have had to do with my step kids, both myself and my husband have sz. A very simple explanation would be good I think. Just that his friend has a special sort of illness which means he sees things and hears things which aren't there.

You may also want to talk to your child about how to help his friend, and what to do if he gets really upset (for example going to fetch a responsible adult.

Most likely the voices scare the child if they are threatening,however they could be pleasant, or neutral.

You sound like a great mum and very open minded.

Zebra.
Go to Top of Page

CBoo

1669 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  02:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks for the great advice Zebra, and for the compliment(blushing). This really is a wonderful, caring community.
Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2021 :  20:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://cottagenet.ru/plan/82

Go to Top of Page

warbird
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

100629 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2021 :  20:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
http://eyesvisions.com/better-eyesight-magazine-better-eyesight-1926-10