Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

fleurette
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3282 Posts
Gratitude: 292
Very honest

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  16:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
it wasn't until high school when i couldn't make friends. in elementary school, i would love to stay after school with my friends. talking to each other on the front steps of the school. i didn't have any problems as a child. is this what usually happens with schizophrenia? or do most people already notice something was wrong back in the days of childhood, looking back?

fleurette

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it."
Mary Wilson Little
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 326
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  13:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was fine till 39. No pattern or rhyme or reason in this illness.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

Pat1967
Super Member (250+ posts)

533 Posts
Gratitude: 111

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  12:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was fine until my brother died in the end of grade 10 then everything went heywire Glad to have lived that long without scz!!
Go to Top of Page

Chunkybeefsoup

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  16:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I always knew that something was wrong with me ever since I could remember. I remember being 3 years old and feeling ackward about myself. I didn't like to be around other kids. However, this feeling stopped until I was about 10 years old. I remember a boy whom I liked tearing apart a piece of paper and saying that's how he feels about me. That hurt me a lot. When I switched to a closer school, it was in a caucasion neighbourhood. Although I was teased about my ethnicity, I managed to make a lot of friends. As I went to high school, that's when things were a lot different. I didn't make any friends, just acquaintances. I hated going to school everyday, especially to gym class. The girls always teased me and picked me last for everything. Academically, I was doing ok. I went to another high school for my last 2 years and people were very nice, almost too nice. I managed to make a few close friends, but was still suffering inside. I hated the way that I looked and just everything about myself I hated. I thought that my eyes were too narrow. Then came university and although I enjoyed the anonymity, I didn't make any friends at all. Again, I felt like an outcast. I then started to miss certain classes and began sleeping in my car. I withdrew from everyday normal life at school and had a "breakdown." I managed to recover from that and came out on top. I met a lot of fun and interesting and intelligent people. We partied and had a great time. Then, I started noticing that something just wasn't quite right. I mentioned in some of my other posts that I started to become paranoid. Anyhoo, to make a long story short, this was when my schizoaffective stuff started. I talked about this period in my life in some other posting. Basically, I stopped university and got better and then came back to university and finished my degree and then I got married and then I started working. Sorry to keep it short, but if you look on the other postings, I've posted quite a bit on this topic. Just don't want to bore anyone. Love, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts
Gratitude: 1001
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  15:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I guess I was an okay kid. I was very withdrawn and I had some mild issues of emotional torment within my family which probably made me even more withdrawn. There were people who said I lived inside, not outside myself. But I don't know how true that was as I have always been really observant and curious about my surroundings. Just that I can't take it as it is. I have to be able to think about it.

We were normal. Dysfunctional, two professional parents, two daughters, fairly privliged by middle class standards, lived in the burbs, parents have always been together but, I'm very sad to say, maybe should have split up. People yelled often, (I HATE when people yell or scream.) were nice other times, you never really knew where you stood. You know, normal.

I lived in my own little world, which I always have, right through to adulthood, this is true. That has never changed but I don't think there was any hint of my future. Not really.

One word about my childhood.

M'eh...

pea

"When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all"

Go to Top of Page

nutmeg

73 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Well, there was lots of yelling. And it was sort of an unstable environment. And my parents got a divorce when I was in 6th grade.

I always felt kind of quiet and shy, but got along ok with my peers. I've always had a few close friends.
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts
Gratitude: 1001

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  10:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
When I think about childhood, there was only one incident that stands out in my mind and it was with a grade school teacher. I didn't like the way her teeth looked. This wasn't a prejudice because I usually don't notice people's teeth but I kind of was afraid of her because I thought she had fangs. But then again, I was a little kid and little kids think things like that sometimes.

There were never any positive symptoms or anything during that time. I wasn't sick at that point in my life at all but something about this woman set me off. We had just moved to a new place and I was having trouble getting used to things in a new environment. I was afraid of the new kids and the new teachers. I think it was just stress. Nothing like that happened again during my childhood so I doubt it was illness related as I didn't even start to change in any way until my late teens.

ella

"When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all"

Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts
Gratitude: 11

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  13:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Not me the thing that makes me the most upset and close to tears is that I admired my doctors very much but after several visits my parents stopped taking me and I had a chance, I could be so much better this day but no, the doctors were careless and parents hopeless. Now I have to be in such a tricky spot.
Yet my time on about all of the 40 sites I belong to and hearing George Gershwin's Rhapsody in blue, and every other thing that makes me feel better and knowing things and I am the way they are for a reason, things can always be changed, someday things will be great and that I could always be taken back, could find the golden website, as sad as it would be another doctor that could be of help or something. Brightens my day! I hope not only my life will be brightened yet all of yours and everyone in the world!
With hope,
Greek116
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts
Gratitude: 11

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  13:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
As a child I had a very hard time I can't remember it all but will start with at first grade a strong memory of crying a lot, I did not make friends or even keep them if i did, got in trouble for things I did not do or just for following the other kids when they did naughty things trying to make friends, in 2nd grade being noisy and attention seeking yet not good I would always seem to throw tanturms and get upset veryeasy, I could not function very well in school and all this follows in 3rd grade, in 4th I was obsessed with Magic and thought it was real kids did mean things to me that disliked me a lot. I wrote nasty mean things, in 5th I had hard times and in 6th was much more quiet and in 7th I was very quiet and on I am not going to type all this. I am not very sure what to type.
Can't think Greek116
Go to Top of Page

Kim
Starting Member

3 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  20:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I think that my childhood was ok. I think my parents were selfish. If things were going there way they were fair, kind and supportive. When things weren't going there way they were full of insults and even small things I did were blow up. Its my humble opinion that people have hormonal changes and a good childhood just helps them handle them better. When the hormones and stress get where you can not longer handle them small childhood problems become bigger and big problems become uncontrollable.
(Example:loss of a parent, extreme abuse.)
Go to Top of Page

Creo
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  11:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i was always different i remember feeling to old for my age and i really just copied the other kids behaviour because i didnt want to draw attention to myself. My older sister has a mood disorder and i was overtly aware things werent right so i became the "clown" to try to compensate her depression.This was from the age of 3 1/2 or 4!
i also felt such a burden on my shoulders but i wasnt sure what i was carrying. I had auditory hallucinations from a young age ( it wasnt "Imagination" ) only now when i look back and remember some of them do i realise how awful they were and the voices said they would hurt my mum if i told her about them. I never said a word. not till i had my total breakdown at 14 and i couldnt hide anymore. Feeling teary after thatnoone will even read this probably
Go to Top of Page

Linden_Rose
Full Member (100+ posts)

177 Posts
Gratitude: 57

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  20:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I can relate to you Creo.

I always felt different from a young age from other kids and had to try my hardest to fit in. To say the least, I was awkward! But I was hard on myself, as I did not know that I was developing a mental illness. I also had trouble telling my mother that I was hearing voices because I did not want to frighten her. My breakdown happened around age 14, at the start of tenth grade. The hallucinations were getting out of hand and people were starting to notice peculiar behavior in me. I could no longer pretend that everything was ok. I had to see my family doctor and he referred me to a psychiatrist.

P.S.: I hope you're feeling better!
Go to Top of Page

firebird
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1555 Posts
Gratitude: 525

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  10:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
No, I didnt have a normal childhood (wish I could of had) I have never met anyone in my life I disliked so much that I would have wished my childhood on.
Go to Top of Page

ttaurean30
Super Member (250+ posts)

722 Posts
Gratitude: 97

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My childhood was great if you remove the beatings and the rapings.
Go to Top of Page

hercules21

5726 Posts
Gratitude: 435

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  00:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was fine until my breakdown at 28 years old.
Except for one weird moment. I was on the golf course when I was 16 and saw a 2 metre long dragon fly with a wing span of 2 metres making right for me. I had to duck out of its way. Saw one of them again the next day.
The golf course was by a river - so either there were so weird things in that river. Or it was a one time delusion.
Go to Top of Page

fleurette

3282 Posts
Gratitude: 292
Very honest

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  17:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi hercules, i believe u wanted to say either that was a hallucination or a real dragon u saw. a delusion is a false belief.

it's good that it didn't happen often. were u freaked out?

fleurette
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0