Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fleurette
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3282 Posts
Gratitude: 292
Very honest

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  15:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i noticed when i lived in my group home, that many people smoked (during the 2 years i lived there, none of the chinese resident smoke). does it take the edge off the schizophrenia? how does it relax u? my prof from school was doing studies on why people with schizophrenia smoke more per capita than non-sz. if u do smoke, have u tried to quit ? how ? and what kind of success have u had?

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts
Gratitude: 1001
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  05:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Fleurette, I probably smoke anywhere from five to twenty five per day. My average is around ten. If i'm really agitated, I'll smoke a lot more.

I quit once for about four months, right before last christmas. My fiance and i did together which makes it a lot easier. but then we treated ourselves around xmas and bought some and well you know how that goes..........

i found the patch very helpful. as far as nicotine cravings go, it does aleviate them very well. And when you need that extra jump, i was always told it is safe to chew the gum along with the patch. I did that and it helped the heavy cravings. Also it is possible to wait a craving out. It actually doesn't last that long. my friend tried hypnosis and is still smoke free

mostly it is that need to busy your hands. I took up the yoyo for a little while. i also sewed by hand a lot and painted. I found new hobbies because of it. it was worth it

yet i started again.......

its hard to quit. but once you get through the worst of it, you really don't want to smoke and don't think a lot about it.

love pea

'good luck is nothing more than being able to laugh at a situation that would make most people break things in fury'
Go to Top of Page

Chunkybeefsoup

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  15:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I smoked for 2 years during university. I felt that I wanted to belong with a group, even though it was the smokers' group. At first, I just started to at nightclubs and bars, then I started to do it at school, then I started to with a couple of friends, then I did it when I was alone. After I "quit" (I quit cold turkey), I would only smoke during some occasions and then I realized how stupid I was. My brother found some smokes on me and got very angry at me. I think that was my turning point as nobody before could influence me the way that he does. So, just after graduation in 1999, I quit and I've almost never taken a drag since then. Don't anybody try this btw. It's a stinker to quit and you smell like tar the entire day. Thanks for listening. Love, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Pat1967
Super Member (250+ posts)

533 Posts
Gratitude: 111

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  12:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hello there, I smoke about a pack a day. I've tried to quit several times but as E-pea said I'd always end up going for "just one" and I'd be off the wagon again. the longest I've gone without buying a pack was 6mns. I've been told to "just keep quitting and eventually you quit. I think this is true by the way during my times of abstinence Ive used the patch, the inhalor and gum Nicorettes and reg. gum. I find the gum works best for me.But I'm still smoking, I"ll let you know if anything changes
Go to Top of Page

Flint
Full Member (100+ posts)

109 Posts
Gratitude: 21

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm 24 years old.
The longest period of time I quit smoking was 23 days.
I have had generalized anxiety problems almost my whole life.
My anxiety diminished during that 23 day break.
I realized that some people smoke to relieve stress and anxiety, but in fact in the long run smoking seems to cause stress and anxiety
Go to Top of Page

Chunkybeefsoup

2353 Posts
Gratitude: 412
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  15:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Flint. Welcome to our community! You'll surely make lotz of new friends here! We're quite a nice group of people and have open arms for everyone. Take care. Love, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Flint
Full Member (100+ posts)

109 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  10:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thank you for the warm welcome, Chunkybeefsoup.

Flint
Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

82944 Posts
Gratitude: 2473
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  17:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Hi F.,

I have been an nicotine addict for more years than I can remember. Cigarettes in the early days, and since then a pipe. It is all bad news which ever method you use.....the crazy thing is, I continue to do so, despite the over whelming evidence of ill health and premature death!

David

Be the person not the disability!
Go to Top of Page

Flint
Full Member (100+ posts)

109 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello,I'm 24. Started smoking when I was 12.
This might sound strange to some smokers or non-smokers but if I were to quit or even think about quitting it would'nt be because of the health factor...I't would be because of the money factor.
I spend over $160.00 a month on (cancer sticks) and (coffin nails).
If I do the math and see how much money I would save I might consider quitting but I might not either.
Go to Top of Page

adam

475 Posts
Gratitude: 20

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  13:29:57  Show Profile  Visit adam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've done just about everythign to quit, (nicorette gum,dipping what I'm doing now, everything but a former aniti deppressent. I see the doc. in January if I'm back smoking then I'll ask for it.
Teh best thing I've found is to buy just one cigar or a pack smoke whay I can or what i want about two smokes and then throw the rest away! It feels great to have that kind of power over them. If anyone does this you'll find in my case a usaully 1.5-2 packs a day turns into about 6 cigerettes a day.
I also do away with all my money, give it to my mom and she keeps it. I just round up some change to buy a cigar ( .75)
sorry about the mispellings and such, i don't feel tht good today.
Go to Top of Page

Jayster

2021 Posts
Gratitude: 159

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  17:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I smoke . . .
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper (inactive)

24317 Posts
Gratitude: 1887

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  18:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi fleurette, i smoked a pack a day at least from the time i was fifteen until i was 39 . nicotine is a stimulent i think and this would help one focus it is very relaxing. for me it was at least. i have other disabilities and have been diognosed as having a schizo-affective disorder so does this mean that i'm schizo-phrenic in affect? maybe i shoudnt have even responded to your question. but i miss you and others from my therapy .im on my own chat and other sites. but i do miss talking with you as you are very nice. and one of my favorite people from my therapy . take care if you ever want to or need to talk and cant find anyone my email is stigmastomper@mail.com its a new email the other one someone got by accident that ones my mothers and it's private. take care the dogs said hello [not really lol ]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn6294

258 Posts
Gratitude: 33

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  07:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
It varies from day to day, two cartons usually lasts me a month.
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

None now but I did smoke for over forty years ... and it left me with a diseased heart!
So I do have something to remind me of how foolish I was for doing so.

Good to see you posting Fleurette!

Cheers, David

"Remember your humanity and forget the rest." — Joseph Rotblat
Go to Top of Page

davidt

82944 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

You don't have to live in the UK to take advantage of this website

www.seriousquitters.co.uk

It helped me ... may be it will help you also!

-David

"Remember your humanity and forget the rest." — Joseph Rotblat
Go to Top of Page

ttaurean30

722 Posts
Gratitude: 97

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  12:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Im so tired of smoking. I smoke about a pack a day..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0