New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Leslie Van Houten
Starting Member

4 Posts
Gratitude: 2

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  19:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm getting ready to come off Geodon. If anyone has come off this drug what were your withdrawals and how long did it last? How did you come off it, gradually or "cold turkey". From what I've read so far getting off Geodon is like going through hell and has cause some individuals permanent tardive dyskneia. I'm taking 120mg daily. I know when I skip a dose I start to feel like I'm going crazy and very irritable and restless. I can't imagine what it will be like to go off it completely. I'm alittle spooked, but I've been on Geodon for almost 4 years now and I'm ready to go off it. Please write me if you have any information for me, or have gone through the withdrawal symptoms already. e-mail is [Posting of personal identifying information, including e-mail address, is not permitted. Administrator]
Go to Top of Page

tootsie
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  08:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My wife is coming off geodon. 80mg for 3 months. Last night was her first night without a pill. She had a tough noght. Woke up very early from "bad dream." She described, "electrical like pulses in her brain."

Since she has been feeling better and she is no longer at a stressful situation (Her job) we decided to try to eliminate the geodon. She is also taking zoloft 150 and xanax .5-1.0/day.

She was developing side effects that we think were related to taking the geodon. This is another reason we decided to try to eliminate it. She had been experienceing numbness and tingling in her hands and feet. I did some research and found this is a common side effect of geodon.

If she continues to have a difficult time with withdrawl we may try slowly decreasing. I think we can do this by opening the capsule, pouring a little out and re-closing the capsule. I'm going to do some more research online regarding withdrawl symptoms.

Good luck to you, maybe we can discuss our experience together through this web-site.
Go to Top of Page

itsjustmylife
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi i am coming off geodon at this very moment and i only take it 2 times a day at 20 mg the withdrawls i am having are horrible. im dizzy,vomiting,fainting,shaking like crazy,and having serious head acheas..this med sucks i would tell everyone to get off of it before u are super adicted like me.
Go to Top of Page

chskjd
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  18:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i've been on geodon for 3 years and have been wanting to get off it but my doctor is reluctant for me to get off. i was on 120 but am now on 80 and am doing fine. i have some 60's but am afraid to go down because i have to work and i'm afraid of withdrawl side affects. i can't be going crazy and having emotional breakdowns. i wish my doctor was more supporive of me going off. she says it's ok if i cross taper with abillify the ne antipsychotic drug but i don't want to be on either one. who knows about the long term side affects.
Go to Top of Page

twine
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  16:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been taking Geodon for about a month to help me sleep. Not only did it not help me sleep, but as the doses were raised, I began to experience strange symptoms such as extreme teeth grinding and lack of facial muscle control. After cutting the dosage in half, in an attempt to ween myself off it, I had a full-blown panic attack while stuck in traffic, which scared the hell out of me. Trembling all over, hyperventilating, etc. Lasted for an hour or so until I was able to take some Klonopin. Since then, I have reduced to the point where I have taken none for the past three days. Although the teeth grinding has gotten better, I am a bundle of nerves, nauseas all day, and still feel mini panic attacks coming on. It feels like I stuck my finger in a light socket... A wave of heat comes over me, I feel like I'm going to black out, then it passes and I'm left shaking and dizzy. This drug has been an absolute nightmare, and I wish I knew when the symptoms would end, because quite honestly, it's ruining my life at this point. Seems to be the consensus from what I'm reading.
Go to Top of Page

HDLadyRider06
Starting Member

9 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  21:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was prescribed Geodon in July 2005. I had been on Topomax which had sent me into a VERY pyhcotic state and extreme paranoia. They took me off the Topomax and sent me home from the hospital (UNC) with Geodon. I was unable to tolerate this medication and ended up back in UNC. It caused me to pass out and my husband was unable to awaken me. Since then they have been trying so many different meds that I have been up and down. These new docs don't seem to understand that I went through this **** for 7 yrs. Why don't they just put me back on the Lamictal & Ritalin which leveled me out after 7 yrs? Now they say I'm going into mania. What do they know. I think maybe I'll just quit all this physc meds.
Go to Top of Page

lusciousangel
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  16:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was first prescribed 20 mg of Geodon around July of 2005. Ever since then I have been taking 20 - 40 mg doses once daily before bedtime. I used to pass out within an hour or two after taking it but i have gotten somehat used to that affect. For over a month I have been cutting down from 40 mg, to 20 mg, and now to 10mg a night. I've been taking the 10 mg dosage for only 2 days now and I'm having a few symptoms: very sensitive to light, light-headed, nausious, dizzy, fatigue, headaches, and periods from being very tired to having short bouts of energy. I also noticed that I was blinking a lot in the morning and have had a little cough. It's hard for me to tell if this is all from the Geodon withdrawal or if it has something to do with taking 12 mg of Thorazine for the past 2 days as well. I read online that Thorazine and geodon are never supposed to be taken together but I'm trying to be compliant with what my psychiatrist prescribes since I have been known to be non-compliant in the past. My dosages may seem to be very little to most but I am only 17, stand at about 5'1 and am 90 pounds. Originally the Geodon along with Focalin that I take during the day ( 7.5 mg.. that doesn't help my ADD at all by the way)was prescribed to help me recover from my eating disorder and it helped in the beginning but now my only problems seem to be taking all this medication. I'm really hoping this withdrawal won't last too long since my dosages are small. As much as I want to be off meds I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep at all b/c of my anxiety.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  00:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was prescribed geodon in 60mg and have been taking it for a little over a month now. This drug is my ultimate nightmare. The side effects seemed to tear into my life after three to four weeks of taking it. I'm edgy, have a loss of facial control and severe slurred speech. It feels as though I'm having the bad effects of being drunk. I cannot balance well, I about busted my face wearing a pair of heels. I have problems with simple motor skills, pronunciation, etc.*it make me feel like an idiot, I have problems thinking clearly. I have difficulty swallowing, severe heat waves. I feel as though my flesh is disconnected to my body and crawling across it with the legs made of needles. I've almost crashed due to a horrid dizzy spell. After two weeks I developed swollen lymphnodes under my armpit. I actually felt like I was fine. I've blacked out the three times I've drank on this medicine. The second time I had two glasses of wine, got in a dispute and put two ciggarettes out on my neck. The third time I had two or three got in a dispute and punched myself in the eye five times. The next day my face was mangled. The whole time I've been told I couldn't control my speech, could barely stand and appeared to be an elderly drunk, I cannot recall a thing. I'm 23 folks, and I don't go around hitting myself.....the fact is you can't ****ing drink on it. I wanted to, tried, and about lost my boyfriend and several friends. I stopped taking it tonight. I've felt like throwing up all day, I have the sweats and chills, [Deleted] Just kidding about that, but seriously. Wise up with me and realize they are getting paid an amount for each single prescription they prescribe to us. They make ****ing commission off our mental health and put us through HELL. While they go and drink margaritas in the pool that costed us our sanity....I THINK WE SHOULD TAKE A DIP INTO REALITY. AND LEARN TO JUST ****ING DEAL WITH THINGS. And I know it sucks, I want to cry (due to the geodon...crying fits out of nowhere several times) right now about how sad it is that we just subject ourselves to this fake fix-all in a pill. How about next time we see the doctor....ask them if they take any pills themselves, or do their son or daughters. I'd rather face my demons than take a medicine like this ever again in my life. It wil be a horrible decision to take this drug. I'm sorry if you're currently taking it.

miranda
Go to Top of Page

Kingschild
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  23:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Wow - this drug started out being a wonderful help to me...then my doctor took me off of Zoloft and Wellbutrin. That's the side-effects starting hitting me. I'd list them all here but it would take too long. I decided last night that I was going to start tapering the drug. Could the withdrawal be any worse than my current side-effects? I'm up right now because I have insomnia...I feel like I'm going to puke and I was tossing and turning in bed.
My doctor prescribed Geodon to me to help with my Bi-polar. I have more mood swings and craziness going on in my head now than I ever did before. Did I miss something about this drug?
I'm calling my doc in the morning to start the weaning process. God help me. I have 3 kids and a wonderful husband. I hate to put them through this anymore.
Go to Top of Page

katie1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
GLAD TO FIND THIS SITE. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED WITH ANY ANTIPSYCHOTIC MEDICATION. I FELL 3 MONTHS AGO AND THE DR. GAVE ME HYDROCODONE. I BECAME ALARMED THAT I WAS ADDICTED TO IT. I WAS HAVING ANXIETY ATTACKS. I WAS TAKING 2 1/2 10'S A DAY. I MAY NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN ADDICTED. WHEN I WENT TO THE DR. HE PUT ME ON 60 MG. OF GEODON FOR 3 DAYS (THIS IS DAY 3), THEN TOLD ME TO TAKE 80MG. A DAY FOR 10 DAYS AND COME BACK. HE DIDN'T TELL ME WHAT IT WAS AND CERTAINLY NONE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS. I AM SCARED TO DEATH. I HAVE READ A LOT ABOUT IT ON THE NET. CAN ANYONE GIVE OUT ANY POSITIVE FEEDBACK. HE SAID I ONLY HAD TO TAKE IT FOR 10 DAYS, BUT THAT REALLY DOESN'T MAKE GOOD SENSE. IS 10 DAYS LONG ENOUGH TO DEVELOP LASTING PROBLEMS. I AM 59 YEARS OLD, THIS MEDICINE ISN'T RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE IN THEIR 60'S. WHEN I WENT TO THE DR. I WAS HAVING ANXIETY ATTACKS BECAUSE I HAD NOT BEEN SLEEPING HARDLY AT ALL.
CAN SOME PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK?
Go to Top of Page

katie1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  13:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I AM REALLY HOPING THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN REPLY TO MY POST. I NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE.
Go to Top of Page

AmyA
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  08:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I would love to get off of Geodon. I take 20 mg twice a day. I missed my morning pill yesterday because I need to pack for a move and Geodon makes me so sleepy. I felt weird all day and couldn't eat. Last night I took my dosage, but it was too late. I suddenly started vomiting a lot. Then I only slept one hour last night. I feel like I'm on speed or something. My emotions are out of control. My brain is buzzing, I'm seeing "trails" and pupils dialated. I can't eat, no appetite. I want to go to sleep, but can't. I'm hot and cold at the same time. I'm scared. I want off this drug and off of Effexor, but they both have horrible withdrawals. I have a child, I can't stay in bed for 2 months trying to get off this s***!
Go to Top of Page

katie1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  09:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
AMYA THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON GEODON? WOULD YOU PLEASE POST AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE EXPERIENCES, I AM TERRIFIED. HOPE YOU SEE THIS POST.
Go to Top of Page

scootergirl
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  13:31:56  Show Profile  Visit scootergirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I"ve been on Geodon for 4 years now. I take 40mgs am and 80mgs pm. I could see that coming off would be exteremly difficult (like when I came off of 10mgs of klonopin a day cold turkey) as when I miss a dose, I am panicked. But this drug works wonders for me so I don't see the need to come off. I've been stable for 4 years now with the exception of the ups and downs that come with substance abuse. I know not all drugs work for everyone and I know there are a lot of people who have problems finding the right medication. But I am replying for the benefit of Katie who was prescribed it and asked for anyone's good experience with it. What I don't understand, Katie, is why a doctor would prescribe geodon to come off of hydrocodone. Hydrocodone withdrawal will not kill you, but it will make you feel miserable and I don't see how geodon would help with that. Is there another reason you are prescribed geodon, did I just misunderstand?

Just for today,
Alicia
Go to Top of Page

scootergirl
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  13:36:20  Show Profile  Visit scootergirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Katie,I reread you post and came to conclusion you were given geodon for anxiety. It usually takes a few weeks to get the full benefit of the medication. The only thing I can surmise, is that if you are on it for 10 days, he is helping your anxiety for those 10 days only. I assume the reason he didn't put you on a benzodiazipine is because you were concerned you were addicted to an opiate and he didn't want you to become crossaddicted. From my research and my experience, I don't see how short term use of geodon would help you in the long run with anxiety. Wishing you all the best.

Just for today,
Alicia
Go to Top of Page

jedimind
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:31:11  Show Profile  Visit jedimind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by katie1

AMYA THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON GEODON? WOULD YOU PLEASE POST AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE EXPERIENCES, I AM TERRIFIED. HOPE YOU SEE THIS POST.

Katie1, i just saw your posts and I'm hoping you're doing ok by now. unfortunately you have good reason to be terrified, Coming off geodon was the Worst experience of my life, i thought i was gonna die. if you need any advice let me know.

Keith A Parks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0