Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

ScarlettA
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  15:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi all. I guess I'm a come lately here. My doc gave me Geodon to try on top of my Lamictal, which already helps me, but maybe not as much as I need.

Anyway, I did ask for it, but I was not warned about any withdrawal side effects. Even the bottle says nothing.

I took this for maybe 4 to 5 days: 80 mg the first four nights, then one night of 120 mg. It gave me insomnia and had me bouncing off the walls until 3 a.m. (Based on what I am reading, this is a very high dose, which is weird, because I'm a highly functional, non-psychotic bipolar.)

So last night, I figure I'll skip it. Like I could do with Seroquel.

HA HA HA.

I've been delirious since dawn, seeing the ceiling move, seeing "jellyfish," feeling utter and crippling exhaustion that I can't satisfy by sleeping (because I can't sleep), breathing like I'm on speed, night sweats, warm flashes (I'm 31!!!!!!).

I also constantly feel like something is stuck in my throat.

I've just put in a call to my doctor about getting OFF. Since it's only been five days, I'm not sure if cold turkey is an option for me. I do have the ability to stay home, since I work from here, have a supportive husband, no kids, etc.

I just want to say thank God I read this, you guys, and thank God for the Internet. (I'm a bit manic right now, if it's not obvious.) My heart goes out to all of you.

I swear once this is over I'm going to devote myself to educating others about medicines like these.
Go to Top of Page

jedimind
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  05:18:37  Show Profile  Visit jedimind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Dear ScarlettA,

I just read your post and hope you get to see this response. I had a very bad experience like all of us and i try to get out all the info i can on this drug.

I wanted to clear up some depressing feelings i had so my doc gave me Geodon saying it would be perfect for me. I was never told about any side effects or told not to stop taking it, cuz it made me feel Horrible and i did stop, which was the worst mistake i coulda made. i ended up in the E.R. more suicidal than i ever imaginded and had to continue that same damn drug and ween off of it for a month.

It had me sitting in a corner all day hallucinating unable to sleep like you and thats just one of the many horrible things it did. i was on it for two monthes so it was very bad. anyway...Please please please be very very careful and ween down every couple days, tald to your doc but DONT let anyone convince you to stay on it of anything else you dont feel is right. Ween off it, ask for lower mg's until you're down to the 20 mg's and feel out when you dont need it, and PLEASE GET FREE AND CLEAR AND HEALTHY OF THIS **** AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, IT COULD HAVE PERMANANT SIDE EFFECTS! My best wishes are with you! Good Luck and be careful, feel it out.
Sincerely, Casey, [E-mail addresses are not allowed. Administrator]
Go to Top of Page

laurie91466
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  13:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am just starting to go off of geodon and am having many of the side effects that people are mentioning. I am very restless, have the shakes, nausea, insomnia, and feel like I am having a constant panic attack. I was on 80mg a day and went down to 60mg. I called my Dr and she is going to put me on prozac while I wean off of geodon and this should help the withdrawal effects. The same thing happened when I went off of cymbalta and she put me on prozac then and the withdrawal went away. After I am off of the geodon, I will go off of the prozac. Maybe this information will help others who are having withdrawal. If I had known this would happen, I never would have gone on it.
Go to Top of Page

Dizzo
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  07:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by laurie91466

I am just starting to go off of geodon and am having many of the side effects that people are mentioning. I am very restless, have the shakes, nausea, insomnia, and feel like I am having a constant panic attack. I was on 80mg a day and went down to 60mg. I called my Dr and she is going to put me on prozac while I wean off of geodon and this should help the withdrawal effects. The same thing happened when I went off of cymbalta and she put me on prozac then and the withdrawal went away. After I am off of the geodon, I will go off of the prozac. Maybe this information will help others who are having withdrawal. If I had known this would happen, I never would have gone on it.

Laurie - I've been off Geodon for 2 weeks now. The key to coming off is to do it gradually. I was on 60mgs when I decided to come off. I had read that while weaning off, you should do it gradually - a few days at each dose, however I wanted to get off it ASAP. I dropped from 60 to 40mgs the first day (Saturday). I wanted to drop to 30mgs the following day (Sunday). I recalled reading that people were 'opening the capsules and pouring some of the powder out'. I did this, but got to thinking, "how could I be sure how much I had actually poured out?". Then I remembered that I had read about 'liquid titration' on another site. Since I still had some 60mg capsules, I decided liquid titration would be the best way to accurately measure 30 mgs. I poured a 12oz can of fruit punch into a 16.9oz (empty) water bottle, I then emptied the 60mg capsule into the bottle of punch. Prior to this, I had measured 6 ounces of water into a glass and made a line at the 6oz level. I shook the fruit punch / Geodon mix for about a minute, then poured 6 ounces of the mix into the glass. I drank the mixture after eating. There was another 30mg remaining if I had wanted to do another day at 30mgs. I however decided to drop to 20mgs the following day (Monday) - not a problem, my doctor had given me 20mg samples, so I just took a capsule. The next day (Tuesday) I dropped to 10 mgs and did the same liquid titration ratios that I did for 30mgs, only this time using a 20mg capsule instead of the 60. I then dropped to 5mg / 3 ounces of 20mg solution. This was on Wednesday. Now I had a 2-day seminar at work the next 2 days, not knowing how I would react without having any of the Geodon in my system, I decided that I would also do Thursday and Friday at 5mgs/3oz. Saturday was my first day without the Geodon, I did ok. On Sunday and Monday and maybe Tuesady I had some of the usual withdrawal symptoms, lump in the throat, no appetite, nausea and hot/cold at the same time. By Wednesday I felt like I did pre-Geodon.

For anyone deciding to go off this stuff, I highly recommend you work with your doctor. If you decide to do the liquid titration, I recommend 12oz cans of fruit punch, easy to measure, completely masks the taste of Geodon (if there is a taste).
Good luck to all!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristi1333
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  12:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have only been on Geodon for 2 weeks. It was a miracle drug for me. I was recently diagnosed with symptoms I have had for 13 years. However, I could not get my perscription refilled while on the road travelling. I had really bad withdrawals. However, I didn't know that was what it was from. If it really works for me, I don't know if I should start it again. Any advice from someone who really got better with this drug????
Go to Top of Page

Anamater
Super Member (250+ posts)

284 Posts
Gratitude: 123

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  10:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Anamater's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
This is scary and awful. I started taking Geodon at my doctor's suggestion, and it worked absoluetly text-book like for me. Literally, all the positive effects, and every one of the side effects, but hey, what's too high a price for something that works, right? I had told my doctor that I had finally gotten the last addictive drug out of my life (smoke-free two monthes now!) and didn't want anything that I would become dependant on, and incidently, I have never been on an anti-psychotic before, so what did I know? He put me on this stuff, and at first it did just what the label said. And then it didn't. So he upped the dosage.
I found out from a pharmacist that this is pretty typical with geodon, becasue after a few days the liver starts processign it into something completely neutral, so I'm like, hey, I don't want to have to keep taking more and more, and this doctor is a quack, so I change doctors. It's important for this point in the story to know that the doctor did not actually PROSCRIBE me geodon, he was giving me samples to 'see if it worked'. I swear, the government tries so hard to get drug dealers off the streets, to what, give them offices?!? So I found myself in a very scary position. I didn't have another appointment to see this doctor becasue he was going out of town, my appointment to see a new doctor will not be for a while, and the samples I have are running out. Meanwhile I have been on geodon for about a month and a half, a month at 40mg. The old doctor has since given me samples to last until the 19th, after which I am totally boned, and not really sure what to do. Everything I have read makes this sound worse than heroine, and THAT i wasn't addicted to when I quit. I am so scared.

I will storm the moral highground, and from there I will conquer the world!
Go to Top of Page

antipsycmed
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  15:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I took Geodon for three days at 80mg per day. I stopped due to what I read here and glad that I did. My withdrawal for only three days of taking this med was pure hell. I could not sleep, was very sensitive to sudden sounds, thought my heart was going to explode,cold and hot at the same time, goose bumps from hell. I would lay in a tub of hot water for as long as I could while wondering if I was going to survive. I also felt "out of body" THIS WAS FROM TAKING GEODON FOR ONLY THREE DAYS! It is day three of without and feel better. I only can imagine what everyone else will go through If deciding to quit after a therapy of this med for a long period of time. Docs dont realize the consequences of this med since they dont take it. I only hope the best for anyone deciding to stop taking this med! Please let me know how you are all doing and how long your withdrawal lasted.
Go to Top of Page

jennylynn
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  07:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Have you been able to come off of the Geodon and if so are you back to normal?? I am on day 3 and this is my second time to try and come off of it. I hate feeling this way. I wake up nervous and mid day I almost level out but by the evening I am having panic attacks. Have any suggestions for me?
Go to Top of Page

deannaaich
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  06:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Coming off of Geodon with Difficult Success so far:

Hi, I was only on Geodon for 2 1/2 months. I am not schizophrenic, but my doctor prescribed it with Cymbalta and Lamictal in hopes that it may help my bipolar symptoms. When combined with these drugs, he said that it can sometimes act as Lithium (which I was not able to take due to hypothyroidism).......We found out later, that while these statements were true that research has not shown this effective or safe beyond three weeks. It took about 3 weeks for the bad side effects to kick in: Extreme anxiety and panic attacks, to the point where I ended up in ambulances for suspected seizures, found now to be related to stress after many tests by the nuerologist.....Extreme facial tremors, hand tremors, hot sweats, shaking.......I could go on and on.........As I take care of a 22 month old daughter, I finally came to a point where functioning on this drug was no longer possible.

Due to the severity of my symptoms, they did a fast taper off. I was on 160 mg once a day at night for almost 3 months......they took me to half the dose for 8 days, then nothing. I have never felt so sick. So sensitive to light, nausea, but I could still eat a bit, headaches, and the most disturbing withdrawal effect was severe hallucinations, mostly at night, when I was used to taking my dose. Severe fatigue but I couldn't sleep.......FORTUNATELY, after last night, which was my 4th night without the drug, I have had no hallucinations. The fatigue has still been quite overwhelming. But, I am seeing everything that I hated about the drug when I was on it, especially the shaking, get much better. So, all in all, it has not been all bad. When I dropped to half a dose, I didn't see much change, it was when I dropped to nothing that I began to bottom out. I am hoping that time has passed and it will get better from here, we'll see. It's important to keep in mind that this drug drastically effects serotonin so you may see extreme changes in mood, especially depression, that is the hardest battle for me right now. I am praying that it will also pass. You need some serious support to get off of this drug, like I have family helping with my daughter. But, I think from what I have read, the faster you can get off the better, best not to drag it out too long unless the withdrawal is unbearable. I say, if it is, you ask the doctor to take you off in a hospital setting. That is what I may do if the hallucinations start again.
Go to Top of Page

deannaaich
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  07:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Other withdrawal effects I experienced were tightness in the chest. I even got the EMT's out here to check my heart, trouble breathing in and severe pain in my throught and chest. Even sometimes, at night, I would immediately feel as though I were coming down with a chest cold or bronchitis.
Go to Top of Page

Lukey T
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  21:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
After reading these geodon horror stories, i feel very lucky. It was a godsend after years of dangerous drugs they tried on me, which all made me worse. I also drank alcohol occasionally with geodon and had no ill effects aside from slight difficulty breathing. Although its been good for me, its been 4 years now and i'm trying to get off it. Ive had alot of difficulty with my vision and this annoying nervous twitch in my right hand, but i'm finding i'm ok if i take one every few days if i feel mentally out of it. I don't support the use of meds at all, but if youre psychotic, i encourage you to give geodon a try. One lie my doctor told me was that geodon causes weight loss. Bull. I gained 100 lbs in 6 months on this drug.
Go to Top of Page

odinwise
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  19:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
it seems there are a few common symptoms that people are experiencing as a result of withdrawal. I've been on geodon for a few months weaning up to 160mg daily now I'm at 120mg daily. it's very clear to me when I'm due to take my dose. within 2 hours of missing my dose I start to feel withdrawal symptoms which include:

nausea
feeling like I'm floating
-sometimes a near out of body experience
extreme anxiety
colors are brighter
shakes
paranoia
sensitivity to sound
hallucinations

honestly, it feels like I'm having a bad acid trip when I've missed my dose which leads me to feel like I'm having an acute psychotic episode. I get very skiddish. if psychosis is a result of too much dopamine in the brain, then when the D1 receptors are no longer blocked (as is the function of geodon) I can understand how it might seem like a psychotic episode whether it is or isn't.

needless to say, I'm very nervous about not being on this med. at this point I don't know if I'm prone to a sudden psychotic relapse if I stop taking it, or if it's just a result of withdrawal.

after reading through these posts I think it's safe to say that some common withdrawal effects that can be expected are:

nausea
anxiety
increased sensitivity to stimuli
shakes
possible hallucinations

as much as I wish I was med free, at this point it keeps me feeling normal and stable, and for that I madly respect it.
Go to Top of Page

daffygirl
Starting Member

38 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  12:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hope someone can help me!!! I'm going through all the horrible withdrawal symptoms of GEODON. This is the drug from HELL!!! OMG! I ended up in the ER last Sat from dropping my dose of 2x a day at 20 mil to once a day. I had all the crap....hot from the inside out, panic, puking, more panic, can't sit still etc.. my question is does anyone know if there is help to wean from this nasty drug? I've only been on it for about a month and 1/2. God help me if the next stage is gonna be as bad as the first. Is there light at the end of the tunnel???
Go to Top of Page

bennymaxwell
Starting Member

4 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  14:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been diagnosed bipolar 1, although I disagree with the diagnosis. I have been taking Seroquel for approx 3 mos. and became increasingly depressed, until I was in a fugue state of anhedonia. Holidays with my crazy family pushed me over the edge and I had a psychotic episode and was remanded to PCH.
I was prescribed geodon at a state psychiatric hospital. Was on it for approx. 6 days. Started at 40mg for five days, increased to 80mg one day, started bugging out, and decided to leave the hospital and get off this drug. First of all, at 80mg I was becoming manic, which is unlike my natural personality. I had psychotic or schizo dreams with flashing lights, an alien, hostile presence anouncing its control over me. I knew I would lose it if I didn't get out and fast. Took last 40mg dose on date of release and was already beginning to get shakes, irritable, facial tics. Decided to quit immediately. Wow.
WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS:
First 12 hrs.
enlarged pupils, right pupil larger than left pupil. seeing trails, trees wiggle, basically tripping. Left hand twitching. Irritable and combative, unable to control outbursts. Restless, unable to stand still, sit still, concentrate...
Next 12 hrs.
Walking aimlessly in circles. Facial tics. Fear and anxiety. Skin crawling sensation. Culminating in full body convulsion straight out of the exorcist. Psychotic. Uncontrollable sobbing followed by insane rage and urge to violence. Afterwards, slurred speech, dragging limbs, depression, crying.
First 24 hours I kept taking Seroquel as symptoms became worse. I think it helped. 100 mg Seroquel in 24 hrs.
Second day
Still haven't slept. My mind is feeling clear, but I can still feel the drug in my brain. Writhing in bed and moaning. Shooting pain, skin crawling, muscle rigidity. A second siezure, from the waist down only. My legs were kicking like a temper tantrum. More sobbing.
Took 20 mg valium and managed to sleep 2-3 hours. Have been awake since. Most symptoms gone. Left hand can be controlled, but still wants to shake. At least the head-turning fits are over. My whole body is sore from all the cramps and spasms, but I can control my limbs, even drive. Pupils still dilated. Slightly tripping, but no big deal. I took 10mg Lexapro in morning to combat inevitable depression. My mood is stable, not manic or depressed.
I have only been on the drug for six days.
CAN ANYONE SAY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?

bennymaxwell
Go to Top of Page

bennymaxwell
Starting Member

4 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  22:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
UPDATE day 3 withdrawal Geodon
Symptoms were minimal through daylight hours.
Even drove some, which I had been afraid to do with spastic legs. In evening, had another attack. Bad tremors, spastic, Parkinson's-like movements. Jaw clattering, eyelids twitching. Was able to "walk" poorly with substantial assistance - feet dragging, unable to lift legs, supported myself on person or wall - but was able to move, an improvement over previous seizures. Could not walk and talk at same time, too difficult. Difficulty breathing, panic attack, pain.
15 mg valium calmed my mood, somewhat reduced tremors.
30 mins after taking valium was able to regain partial control of limbs. Walked poorly and with some assistance a short distance, exhausting work to little purpose. At meal, had little appetite, was able to eat only sweet potato pie because unable to chew. Difficulty bringing spoon to mouth, but no major mishaps.
By 10:30 was able to walk unassisted to bathroom, urinate, smoke cigarette (harder than you would think, under the circumstances!)...
Feeling much better, close to normal by 11:10pm. I have slept 2-3 hours in past 3 days, am presently unable to sleep.
DO NOT START COURSE OF GEODON, THERE ARE OTHER DRUGS AVAILABLE. GEODON IS PURE POISON.

bennymaxwell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0