Topic #1 Essay

New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Administrator
Administrator

14915 Posts
Gratitude: 577
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  13:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Here Is Your Chance To Share Your Wisdom With The World

What Was The Start Of Schizophrenia Like For You?
    Please tell us about the first year when schizophrenia started to change your life. This may have been years before you were diagnosed with schizophrenia. What was your age? How did you change? What did you think was happening? How did other people respond to these changes?

It would be very helpful to other people with schizophrenia if you told them about this important chapter of your life story.

Once others have posted their experiences; it would be great if you would comment on their posts.

Please post your story and comment on other member`s posts - then CONTINUE
Go to Top of Page

hercules21
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

5726 Posts
Gratitude: 435
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  14:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Administrator

So please take a minute and tell us about this important chapter of your life story.

Once others have posted their experiences; it would be great if you would comment on their posts.[/list]

I thought I had a magical power in the year leading up to my breakdown. If I said anything that made the crowd happy or alternatively mad I would get a sensation in my body. I got this while public speaking and also from the other person while talking on the phone.

Apart from that I was normal. Possibly a bit irritable but I did have major stressors in my life.

Once my breakdown started it was sudden. I was just suddenly unwell. I was with some negative people on a holiday who said some unkind things during a long car trip where I couldn't get away from them and the next day I had lost my mind.
I couldn't perceive things correctly and everything had a double meaning. I had become paranoid.

I was initially diagnosed with Psychosis NOS

After a second breakdown when I revisited the same school to complete my studies they upgraded me to paranoid schizophrenia.

Hope that helps

"Mrs Morel always said the after-life would hold nothing in store for her husband: he rose from the lower world into purgatory, when he came home from pit, and passed into heaven in the Palmerston Arms.".

Thank you Hercules,

Your personal story is exactly what we need to get this discussion started.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Jet
Super Member (250+ posts)

654 Posts
Gratitude: 46

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  11:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I felt very confused in my life I had a partner n two dogs reasonable income and social life....
Something felt wrong, I had been to docs many times but didn't even know such a thing as mental health even exisisted in my teens early 20s I just thought u were crazy or not..
My doc finally thought I had adhd n refereed me to a pdoc it took six mths before the appointment came threw I lost two stone n couldn't sleep by then with stress
Pdoc said I seemed a bit high n didn't want to take me on
I gave up at this report down Drs next day I was suicidal n given up
Over the last 12 yrs I've had every diagnoses
I remember losing it my CDs started saying my name n lady on tv quiz show turned n asked ME the question then I moved house, every radio n to in the house was talking to me. Everything had a secret meaning to me colours lights what people were wearing cars driving with lights on agreed with my thinking some graffitii said which way I should walk when I disappeared for 48hrs
I was running the world with tony Blair n bill Clinton we bombed a red cross hospital
I remember the pdoc saying I must feel very powerful I agreed but it wasn't the right phrase I felt responsible
Jez I could go on forever this lasted bout six mths then olanzapine made me sane but fat so changed that too lol now on haloperidol n lots of others sometimes my tv talks to me I hear screaming at night see figures round my bed n get creepy crawly skin like spiders are on it...
That's a bit for u guys to maybe relate too
U r not alone
Love jet
Xxx

'Forget the pot, enjoy the rainbow'

Thank you Jet,

Often it takes years before an individual is correctly diagnosed with schizophrenia. Yet the diagnosis of schizophrenia is very straight forward if physicians just asked the right questions. (There is computerized diagnosis of schizophrenia at http://mentalhealth.com/home/dx/schizophrenia.html)

The earlier schizophrenia is treated, the better the outcome.

That's why your sharing your story with our community is so informative. It allows our other members to know that they are not alone - that their life with schizophrenia is very similar to that of others.

I much appreciate your honesty and willingness to share your story with us.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Jet

654 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  01:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Sorry George bush, not Bill Clinton
Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Jet

654 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  12:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Ha me upside down!
Seriously guys I'm off to bed I'll try n sort it tomorrow lol
Xxx

Go to Top of Page

fleurette
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3282 Posts
Gratitude: 292
Very honest

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  17:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was about 21 years old when it happened to me. I didn't have any prodromal symptoms. Within one week I went from a normal person to a psychotic person.

I thought that my life was being broadcasted on CNN. I thought that every one who walked by me was sending me secret messages with their facial expressions and hand motions. I would hear a running commentary in my mind about what I was doing. I saw things that were not present. I thought that the rain outside was a tv show produced rain like in The Truman Show.

My mom took me to see the doctor immediately and he knew it was psychosis and told my mom that I would be well in 6 weeks time if I let him treat me.

Thanks Fleurette,

It will help others to know that schizophrenia can have a sudden onset where, as you reported, a person can go from normal to psychotic in one week.

Thus you can skip the following sections on changes in personality that often occur before the onset of schizophrenia.

However, it would be very helpful to know if any part of the section on "basic symptoms" applied to you.

I am looking forward to reading more of your insights in forthcoming sections of this course.

P.S. Thank you for the hundreds of hours you have spent over the years posting in our community.

Phil

Go to Top of Page

computer_chip1
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1593 Posts
Gratitude: 357
Very honest

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  18:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
As a boy I was sociable and popular. At age 13 I withdrew some and felt alienated to some extent after that. I was very successful academically in school. At about age 20 I had fairly deep depression most of the time, for about 4 years. I became obsessed for a whole year with going into psychoanalysis to fix all of my problems and to prepare me for a career as a psychiatrist. I was worried continuously all the time. (I could never afford psychoanalysis.) Then over 3 days in 1981, as a third year medical student, at the age of 24, I started reading my own ideas into everyday events. For example, I thought some people were spies. I became highly nervous and was referred to the emergency room, and my schizophrenia began.
In my initial episode I had a few delusions about other people and the meaning of everyday stimuli. The noises outside of my room seemed like abnormal "echo" sounds. I did not know what was happening, but a few days later I realized I had been sick and I was frightened. For a while I was hallucinating smells. I was discharged from the hospital after 17 days though I was not well.
For the next 9 months I had a feeling of severe fear every day. Mostly I was exhausted mentally and physically. That's how my illness began.

Washington, D.C. native.

Thank you Computer_Chip1,

I really appreciate your sharing your experiences about living with schizophrenia. Many people, such as yourself, report that they experienced prolonged depression and feelings of social isolation for months or years before the onset of their psychosis.

That is why it is so important to share our stories with the world. Every year in the world, there are millions of people newly developing schizophrenia. They are desperately looking for information about their illness, and I believe that our stories will greatly help them.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

14915 Posts
Gratitude: 577
Very caringVery wiseI agree

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  10:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Course Continues
 CONTINUE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0