New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

nancyannee
Super Member (250+ posts)

641 Posts
Gratitude: 149

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  13:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have searched my area for a doc to see... they all look the same and I really don't know where to start...would you advise walking into my local ER and just asking for help? I am having a particularly bad spell and really feel at my wits end. I am scared to ask for help but I am so tired of pretending nothing is wrong....nancy:(

Hi Nancy,

In Canada, there are only 4 ways an individual can get a referral to see a psychiatrist:

• Ask your family doctor for a referral to see a psychiatrist: This is usually the best way; since your family doctor usually knows who are the "best psychiatrists".

• Go to the Psychiatric Outpatient Clinic of your local hospital: A hospital psychiatric outpatient or crisis clinic usually doesn't require a physician's referral.

• Go to a Community Mental Health Clinic in your local area: Most urban centers have mental health clinics that will arrange for you to be seen by a psychiatrist (without a physician's referral).

• Go to your hospital's Emergency Ward: This should be used only as a last resort, and only if you have a true mental health emergency (since our hospital emergency wards are over-worked).
Canada has socialized medicine; thus there is no fee to see a psychiatrist (once an individual pays their yearly medical insurance which is heavily subsidized by the government). In Canada, individuals on welfare (government financial assistance) receive free medical and dental services. Of course, in the United States, individuals often have to pay privately for their psychiatric services. I hope this information answers your question Nancy.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  18:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
thank you for the reply, Dr. Long. I am in Georgia, and do have good insurance. However, I have never made the first appointment. In the past when I try to talk with a doctor, I did not have the courage to be completly honest. There are several mental health clinics in the area, one for women specifically. I will try to find the courage to finally speak out... The wonderful people here have given me hope that I do not have to live this way any longer! Wish me luck! Nancy:)

Good luck Nancy,

You know you are doing the right thing by seeking professional help. Well done.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts
Gratitude: 9

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  15:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Where do you live in Georgia? I would be glad to help in any way I can. Here is a link to the Ga. mental health site with contact info

http://mhddad.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site/DHR-MHDDAD/menuitem.8d349b4fc181e44b50c8798dd03036a0/?vgnextoid=762b934c1805ff00VgnVCM100000bf01010aRCRD

They have 24hr assistance. Call them 1-800-715-4225 or 770-414-3052

MRH
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  15:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
thank you for the link, creel. I am in North Georgia. kind of uneasy about giving an exact location. Paranoia and all that...you know. When I call, I am not too sure about what to say. I mean how do I start? Hello, my name is Nancy and I have thoughts and beliefs that I am being tracked and traced by secret government agencies? I see things and hear things nobody else sees or hears? I thought everybody saw walls breathing, my neighbors directly benefit or suffer according to my state of mind...etc..there is so much more to add....maybe I will get the courage to start a blog and put everything there and just let the good doc a look(and everybody else who wanted to as well...SCARY thought!). I am ready to take the medications if it will quiet some of these symptoms. I just don't know how to get the ball rolling. thanks for any input. Nancy:)

Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  06:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Nancy, Just call and say your name is Nancy (or whatever). Tell them you are suffering from delusions and are looking for help in your area (easier written than done, I know). I called for my brother and the lady was very nice and understanding and the first thing she asked was weather or not the call was about me or someone else. Also check out NAMI.ORG web site and look for local support groups in your area. If the support group doesn't work then maybe you can correspond through email with the local Nami rep (email addresses and ph #'s are on the web site). You are doing the right thing by seeking help. Thats half the battle. (PS: I would call it common sense not giving out your exact location on the internet. Not paranoia) :)

MRH
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  16:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
thanks for caring creel. I have isolated myself for so many years, it is nice to see there are people who actually give a damn. I may try the e-mail route. I am working on a journal I may try and post. working up the courage you know. thanks for being here...nancy:)
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  06:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Good Morning Creel,

Just wanted to let you know, I actually e-mailed my local NAMI rep listed on their website. I wrote late last night and I am eagerly awaiting his reply. I gave only general information indicating I would be glad to share more if this was a route I could take until I was more comfortable doing a face-to-face. Disturbed_1 gave me the inspiration to follow through with contacting someone. Hopefully someone will respond today! Thanks for caring!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Boy, my mailbox has never looked so empty. I know it has only been half a day and I should be patient. I am just so ready for someone to talk to...I think either he did not get the e-mail or he did get it and had nothing to say.

nancy
Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  20:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Keep trying Nancy. Dont get discouraged and dont give up. first step is always the hardest right?

MRH
Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  21:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
or try their online community, I think it would be like this site only more folks.

MRH
Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Nancy,
I called them and asked about their slow response and she gave me an alternate email address. try gharper@nami.org or call their crisis line 1-800-715-4225

Gladys Harper is the womans name and she is in Atlanta but will help any way she can.

good luck and let me know

MRH
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Creel,

thank you for trying to help. if only my own family would listen like this. sorry for the slow response, it seems I have bronchitis (self-diagnosed of course). so I have been really out of it.

I will try this new e-mail and see what happens. I see you are here because of your brother. How is he? He should know how lucky he is to have someone care about him and want to help him get help. Unfortunately, you have to admit there is a problem first.

I will e-mail Gladys Harper and see what happens....I will keep you posted.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  17:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Nancy, Here is the 2nd email I received from Gladys

I don’t think Nancy has contacted us. Our toll free number is 800 728-1052. If you get in contact with her again she should call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line at: 800 715-4225 and see if they can get her an appointment with a doctor in her area. If that doesn’t work, please ask her to call us at 800-728-1052 and we will give her some other contacts.

Gladys Harper

Office Manager

NAMI Georgia

(770) 234-0673

gharper@nami.org

MRH
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Creel,

I am having a real hard time lately with EVERYTHING. can't focus thoughts, ideas or emotions. I am wondering why you have singled me out. there are no other posts from you anywhere. while I appreciate the thought, I can't help but wonder why you bother.

I am going to e-mail the Atlanta NAMI rep. it is just so hard to put anything down that makes any kind of sense. when the inspiration strikes I will e-mail her.

I spend a lot of time reading here and hope to be able to post more personal thoughts soon. this is just a hard time for me to express anything.

nancy
Go to Top of Page

creel
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  21:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Nancy,
For the last 18 months my family and I have dealt with my brother and his sz. He was 35 yrs old when he started acting strange (this was nov of 2005). His life has steadily declined as his fiancee left him, then his friends abandoned him and his business went under. The hard part was he refused to acknowledge anything was wrong. He would talk to himself and laugh for no reason. Then one day last February he left a note and said he was going to Washington DC to get his birth certificate straightened out (his delusions led him to believe our grandpa was hitler or maybe he was hitler). He called me the night before he left and said I was a spy that had a voice machine to make it sound like his brother. It was the strangest he had ever sounded.

HE was in Washington DC for 4 days and he was hospitalized for 2 days and his car was towed. My cousin convinced him to come to his house in Cincinnati, Oh. and then wired him the money to get the car. He did make it (22hrs later) but was very delusional. Talked about the men in black and was convinced people were brainwashing all of us.

I was able to get him committed into the U of Cincinatti hospital where he spent 35 days and was force medicated. They eventually had to release him (even though he still refused to admit he had sz) and he went back to Fl. We were basically waiting for a trainwreck to happen. I have felt so helpless to help him and everyone in the family is looking to me to fix it.

A week or so later I found your post about wanting help and I tried to help someone that was asking. That is all. Nothing more and nothing less.

Even though we are strangers I do want you to get better. The same way I would stop for a stranded motorist or hold the door open for someone. Its the southern way right?

I really dont know what else to say. My heart goes out to you during your troubled times. (I hope this posting makes sense. Its late and I am falling asleep at my computer).

MRH
Go to Top of Page

nancyannee

641 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  16:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Creel,

thank you for posting...and yes it makes sense. forgive my nature to be suspicious. goes with the territory..

It takes me a VERY long time to write personal information. When I post in My Therapy it takes sooo long for me to decide to actually hit the post reply button... I am working up the courage to complete my e-mail to the Atlanta rep. not sure what I am waiting on....thank you again for your support.

nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25593
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0