Confidentiality

New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richards
Starting Member

6 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  18:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Is confidentiality when someone discusses suicide always a must? THey say you cannot agree to keep it a secret yet these forums allow a person to do just that. Since we see the validity of that why not allow a person to disclose such thoughts without fear of being reported? The person might open up if they feel they will not be reported. Conversely if a person feels that by speaking to someone they will be reported they may not open up to someone and that could cause them to not express what they are going through. That could be fatal. Many people fear the consequences of actually being diagnosed as suicidal since it can affect life insurance, certain types of employment...etc.
Go to Top of Page

Jayster
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

2021 Posts
Gratitude: 159

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  20:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Possibly the main people who pay for therapy are the Welfare Services; at any rate, Welfare Services want to get their money's worth, and so the Legislature writes laws!

If you think there are a lot of do gooders doing good in social services, you have not had the experience I have had. When I find a good service provider, I stick close to my find!

Jayster
Go to Top of Page

Anamater
Super Member (250+ posts)

284 Posts
Gratitude: 123

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  02:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Anamater's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
A lack of confidentiality here would be difficult. This is pretty anonymous, and stretches over a lot of countries and territories. If anyone is monitoring for suicide threats they would first have to figure out which are credible, next have to try to find out who the person is, and last, try to get word to local authorities.

Art. Like morality, consists of drawing a line.
Go to Top of Page

Richards
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  09:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Anamater

A lack of confidentiality here would be difficult. This is pretty anonymous, and stretches over a lot of countries and territories. If anyone is monitoring for suicide threats they would first have to figure out which are credible, next have to try to find out who the person is, and last, try to get word to local authorities.

But that's my point. People are willing to open up here because they know their confidentiality will be respected. This may have saved lives. Why then is it wrong to breach confidentiality if a freind or colleague discusses the matter. Nobody wants to ask a freind for some morale support only to find that their friend ratted them out. This can affect ones ability to get life insurance so a person should be able to feel they can talk to a freind about it without being ratted out.
Go to Top of Page

Hoppy
Super Member (250+ posts)

441 Posts
Gratitude: 118

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  06:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I once exchanged emails with a man with schizophrenia and I told him that every once in awhile, I have this urge to cut myself, and that urge is happening today. I just wanted to tell him that I'm struggling. Well, he wrote back, "Call your pdoc immediately and don't write to me again until you get help." I was really pissed. I just wanted a friend. I told him our friendship was over. I guess we had different ways of viewing friendship.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

82944 Posts
Gratitude: 2473
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  10:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Administrator

Our Values

This support community is an inappropriate resource for those who are imminently at risk of harming themselves or others. These are medical emergencies that require immediate psychiatric care from trained professionals.

Although I am a psychiatrist and the administrator of this website; I can not legally treat anyone on this website. However, I can answer general questions about psychiatry and I can refer our members to relevant research.

Like everyone else in our community, I do post messages of encouragement to specific members when they are in crisis. My posts stress that the member in crisis seek professional help (and not just rely on help from anonymous friends in this support community).

Phillip W. Long M.D.
Administrator

Extracted from Our Code of Ethics
Go to Top of Page

Richards
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  14:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
davidt,

That does not answer my question. Can it ever be acceptable to agree to keep a persons disclosure of suicidal thoughts confidential. Given the points I have brought up, can an argument be made for face to face confidentiality?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0