New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts
Gratitude: 11

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  15:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi I have been having some really hard times lately. But I am at a spot where I am not sure what to do. I will make this breif. Right now I am in a support class for people with Autism suggested by a Psychologist. She at first said that I have a Schizophrenia thing but now I am starting to wonder if she changed her mind to Autism/Aspergers which of course is not true but this is causing a problem. I cannot think straight and am feeling awful seeing, hearing expreienceing things! Just almost everything is a mess! I am desperate for help so please if you will I will take any advice, ideas links or whatever! If you want to know anything else just ask. I was on Seroquel on June 2006 and Risperdal in November 2005. I really do miss my shrinks, but what should I do?
Go to Top of Page

Pat1967
Super Member (250+ posts)

533 Posts
Gratitude: 111

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  12:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi geek116 sorry not to have gotten back to you sooner.....
Where you any better when you were on anti psychotics
I say this often but all I can suggest is what I've found works for me an anti-pcychotic, an anti-depresant, an anti-anxiety pill and a side effect pill. With this combo I have been almost totaly restored to sanity. My illness rarley prevents me from doing any thing. I'm
39 and have been living with scz since I was 16. 7 yrs ago I was properly diagnosed and put on the correct meds. If I was you I'd go back to the doctor who put you on anti-pschotics and get this thing under control.....the sooner the better. We're always here to help
please take good care of yourself Pat
Go to Top of Page

fleurette
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3282 Posts
Gratitude: 292
Very honest

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  17:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
hi greek116,

do u believe that u have a mental illness? have u stopped seeing ur psychiatrist and started seeing a psychologist? if u think u have a mental illness it needs medication and only psychiatrist can prescribe them. have u learned much about autism and do u think u have that? it could be a mis-diagnosis or a multiple diagnosis.

maybe u can do a diagnosis on mentalhealth.com and see if anything comes up. but be aware that their is a fee otherwise just read up on what u r experiencing and we r all here to discuss anything under the sun that comes up for u.

peace.

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  17:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Pat actually I am Greek116
That's alright! Thanks so much for replying!

No I do not think I have Autism, compared to the rest I am not at all have Autism!
The problem with seeing my doctors again is I have not been taken there in quite a bit and I am not sure what I should do/ask to go back.
I have read an awful lot!
I have had several doctors say it is or I have something with the Psychosis/Schizophrenia Specturm, but all of them said no Autism but one Psychologist who was going down a list guessing and I sorta lied sometimes , I know i should not have and won't again!, Ever!
I know it costs money, I am not exactly sure what to type, if you want to know anything else just ask. What do you people think?
THANKS SO MUCH YOU ARE ALL SO SWEET!

Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  20:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
But I do have almost all of the symptoms.......
any ideas???

Deterioration of personal hygiene

Depression

Bizarre behaviour

Irrational statements

Sleeping excessively or inability to sleep

Social withdrawal, isolation, and reclusiveness

Shift in basic personality

Unexpected hostility

Deterioration of social relationships

Hyperactivity or inactivity -- or alternating between the two

Inability to concentrate or to cope with minor problems

Extreme preoccupation with religion or with the occult

Excessive writing without meaning

Indifference

Dropping out of activities -- or out of life in general

Decline in academic or athletic interests

Forgetting things

Losing possessions

Extreme reactions to criticism

Inability to express joy

Inability to cry, or excessive crying

Inappropriate laughter

Unusual sensitivity to stimuli (noise, light, colours, textures)

Attempts to escape through frequent moves or hitchhiking trips

Drug or alcohol abuse

Fainting

Strange posturing

Refusal to touch persons or objects; wearing gloves, etc.

Shaving head or body hair

Cutting oneself; threats of self-mutilation

Staring without blinking -- or blinking incessantly

Flat, reptile-like gaze

Rigid stubbornness

Peculiar use of words or odd language structures

Sensitivity and irritability when touched by others.

Go to Top of Page

degk9
Starting Member

29 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  23:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am brand new to this forum, have been diagnosed for four years with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I have been on a number of medications all the time, and found it has taken a long time to stop hearing voices, hallucinations and delusions, being outright psychotic. For me, getting help has been a struggle because it took me till this year to accept the disgnosis. What has worked for me is now Lexapro 40 mg,Seroquel 150. The most important thing has been to continue a group therapy, individual therapy and taking the meds religously. You can be in remission from the symptoms but it does take some time to get onto the meds, and the correct combination. My disease went unnoticed for years before I had a big psychotic break, so maybe the amount of time untreated has something to do with actually getting help. The newer drungs are very good, better than some of the older ones, with fewer side effects. I wish you wellness and will think of you. Hope you are getting the help you need now.
Go to Top of Page

mae

992 Posts
Gratitude: 108

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  18:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi greek116 I am on Lamictal, Abian, and Lexapro they seem to help with my symptoms and they are similar to your. Best wishes

Karen
Go to Top of Page

mae

992 Posts
Gratitude: 108

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  18:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm sorry thats ambian not abian.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Awwwwwww thanks Degak8 & Mae!
I am not getting the help I need unfortunately, but these type sites and message boards help! Sort of like you are hungry and have not eaten for days out on a stranded island then someone gives you a snack. It helps but it does not get you off that island and everything.
Thanks I love to hear all of your advice and tips and everything. :) I am hoping for the best and hope you are too!
Greek116
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts
Gratitude: 1001
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  13:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello greek116 i was moving and haven't seen your post yet.

I don't really know what to say about the diagnosis muddle you are in. hmmm That does happen, when you get a few different diagnoses one after the other.

Medication does help. I find they make me feel cloudy but a lot of things are clearer too. But sometimes you are just starting out on a med or have changed medication or adjusted dose, etc and yes it does take time to work. And sometimes, if you are stressed not eating well, or sleeping well, maybe sick or something or even for no real reason, you can sometimes experience +symptoms even adequately medicated.

sorry you're feeling awful... it's so scary and intense. a lot to think about.

love pea

I'm running for my life!
~Vote pea!
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  18:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Aw thanks Pea, not really too many but that doctors are not being clear and parents stop taking me sometimes and stuff. I might think about asking about medication. I wrote a note from a different support site about suicide and some advice they told me, then someone found it and reported me to a counselor so I will let you know how that goes. hummm I wonder what I should say or what? She does know my doctors believe it or not I miss them!
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  14:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Feelin' Horrible!, Yep, I have no Pdoc, no T, no meds, no support, no treatment! I wonder how I should or what I could do to talk about this with my parents and what I should say,how to explain it I guess. They have not taken meback in awhile. I got stuck in a support class I don'tneed. Hardly anyone can understand me, my doctors said I am a puzzle and started playing games. It is a mess!
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  06:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello.

How do you feel with no meds? If things are getting weird again, you should menion this because doctors can get so tunnelvisioned by diagnoses that they sometimes fail to medicate for symptoms. It must be nice not having to take antipsychotics every day bt if you feel you need them, it is better to express your concerns to your docs and if they do not listen, get a second opinion.

Regardless of what is going wrong with you, they should treat you if you feel sick. As for the support class, if you are in it, maybe leave at the door what you do not need bt take away what is useful. Even if you feel it is not a group you belong in, there might be something said nonetheless that you might find helpful.

On the autism side of things, I have heard that the symptoms for each person and type of autism are very different. Aspergers for example i have heard are very intelligent and articulate and have social difficulties and do not like change at all. I don't know if this is bunkum but it is something i remember hearing.

I'm sorry. This sounds like it is very confusing.
Go to Top of Page

greek116
Full Member (100+ posts)

162 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  20:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Thanks E-Pea, I know lots about Aspergers.PDD.Autism and know that I don't have it. I have been, like I try not to go there and keep my books with me to avoid trips there and stuff.

Yes I agree and yep they do. I does feel strange but I did not take them for long and would love to try some again. I'm just a bit concerned about side effetcs.

But this really could be fixed by just asking and mentioning it I noticed it is like sitting at a restruant thinking "Oh I hope the waiter brings extra napkins and spoons!" She has no idea that you want Napkins and spoons and you are just hoping like when you look away from the TV and push your control stick hoping you will win the next race on your PS2.

But I was wondering how do I bring this up?
What do I say what do I do?
How should I mention this, basically how should i talk to my parents about it? How? Thansk so much! :)
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  05:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Well...

I would tell them all I can. Tell them exactly what day to day life is like for you, where your challanges are, what you hope to accomplish from treatment and why you are unable to accomplish that now. If they are medicating you and it is not taking care of all your symptoms, tell them that.

Maybe if you could find the perfect drug, what would it change about your life? (whether it exists or not) maybe by saying "I need a pill that can do a, b, c, d etc" maybe that very direct approach might illstrate your needs a little better.

best to you. How are things now?

love.. pea

STOP THE ABANDONMENT OF CHRISTMAS PETS!
Go to Top of Page

e-pea

5919 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  10:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
PS Something else I thought of...

Perhaps you are really worried about getting back on antispychotics because you are dealing with a lot of paranoia. Pardon me for overstepping myself but you have made a few posts with that as the principle concern. So I did wonder if maybe you were just very desperate to treat that very shattering symptom and who can blame you.

Just a side note, I do believe paranoia can be treated with other drugs too as well as the neuroleptic group (please correct me if I am wrong). I think it really depends on what else is going on in conjunction with the paranoia. Am I right about that??

I'm not suggesting another drug route at all but just to keep in mind that another class of drug may work for this symptom too if for some reason they are hell bent on no antipsychotics. I know it is horrible to get on drug after drug with no help or not able to take them etc and the worst is drug experiemnt after drug experiment.. I just wanted to say that if they are really stubborn about not wanting to give you an antipsychotic (god we need an abbreviation for that word! how about antpsy? very 80s) they might be able to treat that symptom in a less orthodox way.

What a pain for you. Hope they get it all sorted out soon and you're feelingmore yourself.

love.. pea

STOP THE ABANDONMENT OF CHRISTMAS PETS!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 25594
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0